Partitions

Associate
Hi, I was looking at the Partitions on my PC (Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit) and they are as follows:

Disk 0 Primary partition (my C: drive) and Disk 1 which has 63.02gb Unallocated space.

My questions are why is there this apparently unallocated disk 1 and do I need it? Can I delete the unallocated drive 1 and allocate the 63.02gb space to the primary partition, if so and it's safe to do so how do I do it?

Many thanks.

Soldato
you can't delete disk1 as that's actually a physical disk. if there is nothing else on it apart from this unallocated space then you have an unused disk sat inside your pc. you can of course create a partition, give it another drive letter and use it for storage.

perhaps you could upload a screenshot to make it absolutely clear?

Don
Before you doing anything. Backup your files (you already have one right?)

Now, disk1. Is the unallocated space after or before the data partition?

Do you want the data that's on disk1?

If the empty space is after the data partitikn, you can just extend the current partition. Takes a few seconds.

If the space is before the data, then it could take hours depending on the size of it. Quickest option in this case is remove all partitions from the drive and create a new partition. Then cpu your data back...

If you want to keep the data and not remove the current partition but extend it into the empty space at the start of the drive, then use gparted (it's on the Ubuntu live cd) to do it. Can take a while to do it.

Soldato
Hi, I was looking at the Partitions on my PC (Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit) and they are as follows:

Disk 0 Primary partition (my C: drive) and Disk 1 which has 63.02gb Unallocated space.

My questions are why is there this apparently unallocated disk 1 and do I need it? Can I delete the unallocated drive 1 and allocate the 63.02gb space to the primary partition, if so and it's safe to do so how do I do it?

Many thanks.

Is it a pre-built PC? Could be a restore partition

Back
Top Bottom