1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Party Manifesto:

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Gaidin109, 13 Apr 2010.

1. Gaidin109

Mobster

What do people think of the current Tory Manifesto:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-manifesto-at-a-glance-1943421.html

Some of the points I like are

There is far too much state intrusion and the RIPA laws are draconian and are used by councils for things they were not intended for.

A simple and cost effective single system woulod be easier to run and should (depending on the detail) be more accessable than the myriad of programmes we currently have.

Capping Public Sector pensions is necessary, the deficit for public pensions is huge and need addressing.

The labour Manifesto:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-labour-manifesto-at-a-glance-1942709.html

I feel the tax bands are high enough already.

This however doesn't mean they will not raise VAT on other items.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2010
  2. bigredshark

Man of Honour

I'd missed the reducing the number of MPs bit and I'm suspicious off it, any such action is going to have political ramifications as constituency boundaries are redrawn. To be honest I don't really trust any party to do it in an impartial manner (obviously it'll be farmed out to the notionally independent electoral commission but still). I also really don't see the point, it saves a minuscule amount of money and reduces the link between MPs and their constituents even further...

EDIT: I'm underwhelmed by the economic sections of both, though the refusal to raise income tax rates is perhaps silly. Tax will go up in the next few years, I'd prefer the honesty to raise the headline rate rather than more NIC rises and I'm very much opposed to increased VAT.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2010
  3. EddScott

Sgarrista

None of them are brave enough to raise income tax - hence the NIC rise because the majority don't really understand it.

What about tory policy to hand over failing schools to the private sector - which clearly won't work.

What about the promise of £1bn to compensate member of Equitable Life? One for the middle class vote.

4. bigredshark

Man of Honour

Almost, bear in mind there are also employer NICs to consider, so it isn't just a tax on the individual...but it's still somewhat deceitful I agree...

5. EddScott

Sgarrista

Agreed - Corporation tax is due to rise to 22% from next year. It would be possible to increase this further and have it paid monthly.

I suspect scrapping NI would be impossible due its similarity to a state run Ponzi scheme.

6. ethan

Sgarrista

Maybe so but I see little point in reassessing incapacity claimants to death when it would have already been done twice by then just to include a few more on it?

Totally underwhelmed by both party manifestos tbh.

7. Randomface74

Perma Banned

I need to save, it's my only hope of buying a house. So who's gonna help me do that?

8. 4p

Sgarrista

Country is heading down whoever we get.

9. Slam62

Sgarrista

Yes very underwhelming both of them, more of the same or cloud cukoo land, take your pick

10. regulus

Sgarrista

Whoever believes a word any of the top 3 parties spouts should be laughed and pointed at.

11. regulus

Sgarrista

Don't forget that right now these two slime spills will practically say ANYTHING to get elected. Is it not strange that around election times they're suddenly concerned about the 'normal' man and common values? I find Brown and Cameron so detestable that I feel like voting BNP as protest. This coming from a liberal.

12. mollymoo

Mobster

Not sure if you would even get the chance to vote BNP, last time I voted (about twenty years ago) the choices on the ballot card were lib-dem, conservative and labour.

Not sure if it has changed, not even sure how it's supposed to work, I just didn't bother after that.

Of course the danger of a protest vote is that if enough people protest then as a country we're even more in the **** when some lunatic gains power.

That said a protest vote is the way I'm going :)

13. Yamahahahahaha

Mobster

They are keeping the National Identity Register and tying it in with the Eletronic Passports nonsense.

Overall, anyone who gets an Electronic Passport will be put onto the NIR database with all their irreplacable metrics.

The only parties fully opposed to ID cards AND the National Identity Register are the Lib Dems and UKIP.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2010
  14. regulus

Sgarrista

I won't vote. I find the BNP and their rah-rah just as gross and despicable as the main parties. We already have two cockroaches in the sunlight, I'd rather keep the BNP one in the dark :p

15. bigredshark

Man of Honour

16. drew64

Hitman

sounds like they are offering the world, rather than (for example) vince cable saying "no i cant promise X Y Z" to sound genuine.