Passing Red Light by 0.9 seconds

Associate
I apparently passed traffic lights on Red (0.9 seconds).

Thanks for the replies. Not sure how to cancel but will not follow this anymore.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Not going to work, you should approach traffic lights with caution as they may change, you knew exactly what you were doing as you would have pushed past an amber, time to lube up.

Pretty much this.

You tried and failed to beat the lights when you should have been slowing already. I guess the only thing you could argue is being able to pay £100 instead due to delays.

Man of Honour
Not sure there are any mitigating circumstances on the offence, perhaps in the delay in providing what you asked for if you have an audit trail. But you will get done I suspect.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
amber-means-stop-at-the-stop-line.jpg
"AMBER means ‘Stop’ at the stop line. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident"

Source: https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/light-signals-controlling-traffic.html

Good luck with that one. Your only hope in my opinion is querying the quality of the original evidence and your request for further clarity should have stopped the timeline, in light of that evidence you're more than happy to admit the offence with the original penalty.

You'll still get the book thrown at you but doesn't hurt to try!

Caporegime
0.9 seconds is an eternity. Amber lights are on for 4-6 seconds.

This means you had between 5 and 7 seconds to stop.

Assuming it was a 30mph area then reaction time is 0.75s and stopping time at a safe steady rate is 2.93s so 3.68seconds. There was ample seconds spare to come to full halt well before the lights turned red.

Even at 60mph the times are 0.75s reaction plus 5.86 so 6.61 seconds in total. That might be a close call unless you started braking harder but unless you were way off the lights when they changed amber you would be long past through the amber light well before it changed red.

You gambled and lost.

Soldato
Leeway towards motorists is rapidly vanishing expect the worse 6 points is going to affect your insurance!

Back
Top Bottom