1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Patch to enable PhysX with AMD GPUs

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Axil, 4 Oct 2009.

1. Axil

Hitman

2. chaparral

Capodecina

How nvidia stopped standalone PPU cards from working if a non-nvidia GPU is present is so wrong..

3. Axil

Hitman

Btw the patch only appears to work with win 7 as that allows you to have multiple GPU configs

4. kmufc77

Mobster

sorry for my ignorance,but i thought physx only works with a Nvdia Gpu as Ati havent implemented it on there hardware?
    im i missing something?

5. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

This re-enables a Nvidia card to do the PhysX, while your ATi card does the rendering.

6. kmufc77

Mobster

ah got you that makes sense now, doh me.

7. Tom|Nbk

Capodecina

Yep I did have a Physx card in conjunction with my ATi card it stopped working a few driver packages ago the ***** killed it off

8. PGdude

Mobster

That's just so damn wrong. People bought into their PhysX and they kill into ff just because of the off-chance there's a non nVidia GPU being used.

It's just so... wrong.

But what's ethics to businessmen? :p

9. widnesjohn

Gangster

this is looking promising i could drop my old nvidia card in as well to use as a physics card if i understood this correct

10. NickK

Capodecina

There's nothing illegal, after all it's nVidia owned technology.. annoying for PPU owners though. ;)

11. AMG

Mobster

Yeah it is their tech, so they can do what they like with it

however disabling their card if ATI is present is out of order through, consdering the user BROUGHT that card, its not like they are hacking it to work on radeons

12. Martini1991

Caporegime

It's still wrong.. What about PPU owners? How's it legal to stop them using there graphics card?.

I'd agree.. But if someone buys an ATI card as there main renderer (My 5870 for example), and I put a 9600GT for PhysX.. I've paid for a card to use PhysX.. But Nvidia don't allow ATI cards at all with Nvidia... Isn't that "Anti competitive?"..

They do these things which makes me think "They're a hinderance"

13. antran

Wise Guy

noooo, I sold my 8800gts 512mb last week = (

14. NickK

Capodecina

Well, only dropping sales figures (or threat of) will persuade them.

15. mikeym

Wise Guy

Would it be worthwhile running PhysX with an 8800 GTS 320mb? This would be alongside my 4890...

16. AMG

Mobster

Yes, it is I do so agree, i think there should be a limit on what people can do with "their tech" not allowing the old physics cards to run anymore is annoying as said, but actively searching for ATI cards and crippling their own hardware is out of order, however if Nvidia just took away support for that, it would be fine Ill be happy with that.

But is not as "anti competitive" as using games to get back at ATI, by disabling eye caddy such as AA. and coding it so it favours their cards and brings ATI to their knees

17. Lightnix

Soldato

I'm not sure, it may breach advertising law for PPU owners at least - product not working as advertised for guys who also use an ATi graphics card, despite that at the time they bought, they may have known nothing about Nvidia buying Ageia. Also, it seems like Nvidia are actively trying to lock out smaller graphics vendors by preventing consumers from making full use of their technology if they also use a different company's technologies - that would be anticompetitive in that it exhibits monopolistic behaviour.

Going by wackypedia that sounds a lot like what Nvidia are trying to achieve here. I'm not saying they're there right now, but it's where they're headed with these proprietary technologies.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2009
  18. PGdude

Mobster

^The above is correct.

You know, I might just get a dual PCI-E motherbaord and use my 8400GS as a-

Nah, that's just a bit stupid.

19. AMG

Mobster

So there is a law stating that tech that belong to a company CAN'T be used against another one?

In that case than why haven't the EU hit them with a fine twice over, thats the second time Nvidia have shown this behavour

they hit Microsoft and Intel with one, and Microsoft didn't deserve that, as they have every right to ship IE with their OS

20. TheRealDeal

Sgarrista

Add to that the people who bought ppu's. These cards if i remember were not exactly cheap. Its a little like when amd bought ati as they still support older ati gpu's which were made well before amd bought the company but nvidia have totally dropped support for the ppu.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2009