Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 issues (1T)

Associate
I was wondering if someone could help me as I have been trying to get my system stable for 2 days.
AMD Ryzen 3700x
Gigabyte x570 Elite Motherboard
Patriot Viper Steel 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-35200C19 4400MHz Dual Channel Kit (PVS416G440C9K)

I'm running my IF at 1800 that is stable. My memory is running at 3600 with the timings shown below. Timings are from an exported Thaiphoon full html report, imported into Ryzen Memory Calculator.
My issue is I cannot get 1T at all. It's absolutely stable at 2T but with 1T prime95 Large FFTs crashes almost instantly.

I'm at my wits end!

Thank you

ysT62RU.png uod9kNo.png 2rXTbbN.png

Associate
Easy fix dont use the manual setting use the V1 setting.
I have never had any of my memory 8 pack or the Vipers be able to run the manual option.
May just be me but I doubt it.
For 3600 it will run 14,14,15,14 but some of your other settings are to ambitious. (too tight)
Run the calculator set to Profile version V1 and pump those settings in.
All should be good.

And when your happy it is stable change the tRCDWR setting to 8 for a nice lil boost.
I should say someone mentioned the tRCDWR change in another thread and it gives a nice boost so thank them not me for that lil nugget.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply and the tweak!
Ok, I have input the html and loaded V1 and it gave me these. I have put every single setting I can into my Gigabytes x570 bios and I am still getting errors in memtest. If I change 1T to 2T, these errors no longer occur. I'm really not sure what else to do.

I can run any other stress tests; Realbench, Prime95 small ffts, cinebench for hours and not have a problem. But as soon as I start testing memory it all falls apart.
Do I return these and go the easier route of 8pack 3200 or anything else I can adjust?

Thanks once again!

YzWHEYX.png WG6SsO4.png FkARzPN.jpg

Associate
OP
Seems If I run the memory at 3533 instead of 3600 it passes memory tests fine. That is with the above timings. But that means I always would want to lower my IF which is not what I really wanted to do.

I'm picking up a RTX 2070 Super tomorrow from OC so I might have to grab some more Ram.

Edit- Going to give 3600 along with all the xmp profile timings 19 19 19 etc a shot with 1T.

Edit2 - Failed on default XMP 19-19-19-39 1T @ 1.5v Returning them for sure!

Last edited:
Associate
So all programs and stress tests run fine apart from 1 memory test?
Err stop doing that memory test?
It could be your board or cpu do not like 3600 and may be nothing to do with the ram.
To get 3800 stable for me for example I run Soc at 1.18 and my vddg 1.12

Your memory test program have you checked is it an up to date version and still recommended to use?
I am pretty sure I recall a while ago some versions of that were found to have problems.

Associate
OP
Sorry I should update the thread a bit.
Programs that I have been using are;

Memtest86 usb boot
Prime95
Realbench
Aida64
The Witcher 3

All latest versions.

No worries anyway, picking up some Team Dark 8 Pack tomorrow which seems to be able to hit at least decent timings at 3600. Guess that will be the test of mobo/CPU.

Associate
Did you enter all termination and Cad Bus block settings as well?
This viper mermory hits the timings from V1 setting.
As I said i appreciate you cannot get it to but it is not necessarily the memory at fault.
If you read the read me for problems with memtest 86 they even tell you that.
Anyway best of luck with the replacements.

Personally I would be trusting that all the other programs you are running tell you there are no problems.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think this is more IF related. Looks like a combination of 1T and 1700mhz IF isn't going to work for me.
Might end up with 1600mhz IF 3400mhz memory and low timings. Guess the CPU just can't do it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Could it be my Gigabyte x570 Elite or my 3700x holding me back? I just can't get my head around it.
Interesting. I have had issues with RAM also and I have the same mobo. It was in my 2nd replacement that I got ram that worked and even then just about. Could it be one of the default setting on the mobo that messes things up I wonder?

Associate
OP
Interesting. I have had issues with RAM also and I have the same mobo. It was in my 2nd replacement that I got ram that worked and even then just about. Could it be one of the default setting on the mobo that messes things up I wonder?

I think the issues I were having were just IF clocks, CPU just was unable to cope. I think IF clocks is directly tied to the CPU, not sure if the mobo affects this much(?)
It's a shame I can't push 1800 IF 3600 memory but it is what it is. That good old lottery!.
I'll tinker more with it in the future for sure.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think the issues I were having were just IF clocks, CPU just was unable to cope. I think IF clocks is directly tied to the CPU, not sure if the mobo affects this much(?)
It's a shame I can't push 1800 IF 3600 memory but it is what it is. That good old lottery!.
I'll tinker more with it in the future for sure.
Mine were not IF related as I am only on 3200MHz.

Associate
I was wondering if someone could help me as I have been trying to get my system stable for 2 days.
AMD Ryzen 3700x
Gigabyte x570 Elite Motherboard
Patriot Viper Steel 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-35200C19 4400MHz Dual Channel Kit (PVS416G440C9K)

I'm running my IF at 1800 that is stable. My memory is running at 3600 with the timings shown below. Timings are from an exported Thaiphoon full html report, imported into Ryzen Memory Calculator.
My issue is I cannot get 1T at all. It's absolutely stable at 2T but with 1T prime95 Large FFTs crashes almost instantly.

I'm at my wits end!

Thank you

uod9kNo.png 2rXTbbN.png
Hello, I have same both your cpu and motherboard and I changed my 2 DIMMs 8 GB ddr4 trident-Z neo 3600 c16 with two ddr4 of viper steel 4400 PVS416G440C9K and I have the same your issue, the PC Is highly unstable wit 1T enabled but works fine with 2T command rate (all the others parameter are those suggested by dram calculator at 3733 fast presets) with the trident-Z no issue a 3733 and IF 1866 1:1 with command 1T, the system is super stable, maybe is a bios problem, actually I have F11, the new F12f promises an improvement in memory compatibility.
Did you found any solution?
Thank you.
(p.s I apologize in advance for my bad English)

Last edited:
Associate
Actually looking back at this oRuin's problem is probably because he had entered the data as Memory being single rank when for the Patriot viper he should have entered it as Dual rank which would alter a few of the generated values.

Soldato
Actually looking back at this oRuin's problem is probably because he had entered the data as Memory being single rank when for the Patriot viper he should have entered it as Dual rank which would alter a few of the generated values.

It is single rank ram, that basically means it only has RAM chips on one side of the PCB, which it does, and ive yet to see an 8gb stick thats dual rank, usually that starts at 16gb sticks, and even then it doesnt necessarily mean they are dual rank, they can still be single rank sticks, it just depends on how the chips are accessed, so his settings were correct, I just find with RyZen dram calculator, the TCL setting is very optimistic and you have to use your own head with it, its just a guide, not set in stone.

https://imgur.com/KehSJPO

Last edited:
Associate
To clarify CPUZ tells me my 4400 patriot vipers are dual rank although that may only be because i currently have 4 modules fitted which i understand can cause that.
With 4 modules if I enter into Dram calc the single rank settings it will not OC the memory without errors.
If I enter in ALL the dual rank settings it runs without issue on the fast Dram calc settings at 3600 14.14.14.14

However with only 2 modules fitted (16Gb) I can run it as single rank at fast Dram calc settings.

A system populated with more than two single-ranked modules will actually act as if dual-ranked modules are installed.

Which could be the root of a lot of peoples problems running 4x8Gb modules and trying to run them as single rank.

https://www.techspot.com/article/1971-more-ram-modules-better-for-gaming/

However I must admit when I replied i was under the impression he was using 32Gb (I had just been reading another thread ref 32gb use)

Last edited:
Associate
The final solution is that gear down mode must be set to ON, now the memory is super stable at 3733 CL14 and 62.6 ns latency benchmark in Aida 64.

Back
Top Bottom