patriotism overload

Nix

Nix

Soldato
UOcUK Poopscoop said:
The question is would most Scotsman etc. consider an Englishman to be a fellow countryman?

I suggest say that many wouldn't.

Which is the rub. Many an Englishman don't care about the percieved pariotism, we love our country but don't have to make a point like that. It's really pathetic that the Welsh and Scots feel like that.

Permabanned
Beansprout said:
Why do the Scots hate the English so?

Inferiority complex and big chip on their shoulders... not all Scots, just those rabid anti-English ones. The same applies to those Welsh (not all) who hate the English.

Man of Honour
Beansprout said:

Is it because deep down you know we don't care that you dress funny and pleay loud weird music, yet you simply want to get noticed? :p :D

Haha, we don't(if I'm allowed to speak for the Scottish nation) but the arrogance that some England fans and the media will display is simply stunning(as Vandle says I'm a well balanced Scotsman, I've got a chip on both shoulders ;)). If some of England and their fans didn't come across as totally 'up themselves' then I'd have no problem whatsoever but until and unless these folks give up believing in their 'god-given' right to win I will take the mickey each and every time they fail. One good turn deserves another and all that :p

Oh and OUcUK Poopscoop I consider anyone from the British Isles a countryman, whether I like them is entirely another issue. A couple of very good mates are English but that has nothing to do with their nationality, I would never consider nationality as a basis for friendship. Personality is all that counts and I think that is the way it should be :)

Nix

Nix

Soldato
dirtydog said:
I guess Mars is an American company is it? As said above, the Yanks seem to think 'England' is the whole UK anyway :rolleyes: :p

They also think we all know the Queen on a first name basis and all speak like we have something up our bum. It just goes to show...

I think the borders between England, Wales and Scotland are less percieved nowadays. They exist, in terms of states, but we are very much one nation.

Soldato
semi-pro waster said:
Oh and OUcUK Poopscoop I consider anyone from the British Isles a countryman, whether I like them is entirely another issue. A couple of very good mates are English but that has nothing to do with their nationality, I would never consider nationality as a basis for friendship. Personality is all that counts and I think that is the way it should be :)

May I ask you an honest question then?

Many Englishmen would welcome a home team wining the world cup at some point be they Scottish, Welsh or English.

Do you really think most Scots would be cheering the English if they won?

As you pointed out, you cannot speak for your nation as a whole. ;)

As for some of England being "up theirselves" I think many Scots feel that way because of their own inferiority complex dating back many hundreds of years.

In fairness, if I were a Scot I would probably feel the same. Being a subjugated nation for so many years is bound to breed dislike.

Though it always amuses me that if England is really so bad why do so many Scots wish to live and work here? ;)

Associate
UOcUK Poopscoop said:

Many Englishmen would welcome a home team wining the world cup at some point be they Scottish, Welsh or English.

As for some of England being "up theirselves" I think many Scots feel that way because of their own inferiority complex dating back many hundreds of years.

In fairness, if I were a Scot I would probably feel the same. Being a subjugated nation for so many years is bound to breed dislike.

Though it always amuses me that if England is really so bad why do so many Scots wish to live and work here? ;)

As far as i remember its Scottish Mps that run england, but English Mps are not allowed to have any rule in scotland, why is that?

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Freedom said:
As far as i remember its Scottish Mps that run england, but English Mps are not allowed to have any rule in scotland, why is that?

Because the Scottish are hypocrites. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Freedom said:

Because the English are so achingly desperate to avoid offending Scottish sensibilities?

You are such a sensitive little bunch up there. ;)

EDIT: Never even knew Blair was Scottish. Go figure!

Man of Honour
UOcUK Poopscoop said:

Of course you can ask an honest question ;)

Maybe many Englishmen would but there is a sizeable proportion who would not, same as in Scotland, Ireland and Wales who would not welcome England winning, some will some won't it is the way of the world. It isn't the winning that bothers me quite so much as the unceasing gloating that would accompany it.

Inferiority complex, well maybe and then again maybe not. I don't really recall any subjugation, I wasn't alive when it may or may not have happened but since we are dredging up ancient history who was under Rome's rule for several hundred years? I don't recall it being Scotland ;) In case you haven't guessed by now I don't care over much either way and history is about honours even between Scotland and England so no point going over old(or auld) ground so why bother.

And as to the last point divide and conquer my friend, Rome used it successfully many centuries ago, who is to say Scots can't use it now :p

Soldato
semi-pro waster said:
Of course you can ask an honest question ;)

It isn't the winning that bothers me quite so much as the unceasing gloating that would accompany it.

Would the Scottish, Irish or Welsh not gloat?

Lets be honest.

semi-pro waster said:
Inferiority complex, well maybe and then again maybe not. I don't really recall any subjugation, I wasn't alive when it may or may not have happened but since we are dredging up ancient history who was under Rome's rule for several hundred years? I don't recall it being Scotland ;) In case you haven't guessed by now I don't care over much either way and history is about honours even between Scotland and England so no point going over old(or auld) ground so why bother.

If I remember my history correctly it was actually a "Celtic" tribe that initially invited the Romans into their territory to protect them from another tribe so in effect we opened the door to them. In hindsight it was blessing in disguise for the British Isles and the western world as a whole.

As for subjugation. The erasure of much of a nations culture and the fact that English is Britain's overwhelmingly dominant language would constitute that in my book. As I said, I would find it easy to dislike the English myself if I were Scottish perhaps.

semi-pro waster said:
And as to the last point divide and conquer my friend, Rome used it successfully many centuries ago, who is to say Scots can't use it now :p

Not so much divide and conquer as "go where the grass is greener" perhaps? :)

Associate
I've lived in england, scotland and wales and whenever scotland/wales national teams have been knocked out of a "world" competition they have all been in the pubs afterwards supporting england.

But.. everywhere I have lived there has always been a minority of people who hate anyone who isn't from the same part of the UK as them, its not just about england/scotland/wales/ireland either, they've hated people who live in a town 3 miles away!

For example I've met people here (midlands) who cant stand welsh/scottish but they also cant stand londoners or "northerners" either :confused:

Nix

Nix

Soldato
IamMed said:
I've lived in england, scotland and wales and whenever scotland/wales national teams have been knocked out of a "world" competition they have all been in the pubs afterwards supporting england.

But.. everywhere I have lived there has always been a minority of people who hate anyone who isn't from the same part of the UK as them, its not just about england/scotland/wales/ireland either, they've hated people who live in a town 3 miles away!

For example I've met people here (midlands) who cant stand welsh/scottish but they also cant stand londoners or "northerners" either :confused:

I know that if England were knocked out and if Ireland, Scotland or Wales were in the final, I would support them.

Associate
Nix said:
I know that if England were knocked out and if Ireland, Scotland or Wales were in the final, I would support them.

Same here mate

Spent my life pretty equally divided between scotland, england and wales so I never really know which team I'd wanna support anyway :p

I'm happy if any of them do well :)

Permabanned
IamMed said:

Some people up north don't seem to like people with a London/Essex accent, maybe it's that inferiority complex thing again, who knows.

Man of Honour
Beansprout said:
Inferiority complex. Scottish culture is based entirely around not being English. It is very tiresome.

As for the Mars site, given that Mars are an American company I say pfft, but then blatant bandwaggoning in order to flog overpriced, disgusting confectionary to sugar addicted drones is something I look at with much distain.

Boycott Mars! (the chocolate not the planet) :)

Soldato
To redress the balance, weescott, I bought a Scotland T-shirt last week.

Dad said "why?"
mrs fatiain said "why?"
Sister said "why?"

Mum (who is part Jock) just smiled knowingly. :D

And what are the Jocks going to eat for pudding if they boycott deep fried Mars bars?

Tru

Tru

Soldato
I get hacked off with this attitude that all Scots depise the English because of some chip on the shoulder. It's rubbish. Scottish people don't hate the English, we hate the English ******* that revel in their hubris and spout phallacies to support their superiority delusions (and there's a couple in here). You take delight in the thought that a whole nation resents you but it's a generation out of date, sorry, but most of us couldn't give a ****.

Back
Top Bottom