PC build - 2.5k

Associate
Hi,

I’m planning to buy a new PC and monitor.
My budget is 2.5k.

Can I get some support on PC components, please. (Only what’s available on OC website).

PC will be mainly for gaming.

Thank you for your help

Soldato
Hi,

I’m planning to buy a new PC and monitor.
My budget is 2.5k.

Can I get some support on PC components, please. (Only what’s available on OC website).

Thank you for your help

Mainly gaming - but what else would you use it for? Work? Mining? Anything demanding?

Are you going for 1080p gaming, 1440p, 4k?

My PC build is fairly recent (see sig) and cost me around £1500ish. It runs games fine at 1440p and handles my CAD programs really well.

Soldato
Soldato
Associate
Hi,

My budget is 2.5k.

What sort of budget are you looking to spend on the monitor in comparison to the main components? What sort of games do you play ? Do you want 4k or super high refresh rates for shooters ? Or both with a monitor like the Samsung G9 that would eat up a lot of your budget?

It is fun to make up a basket to spend other peoples money but is nicer to spend it well by knowing what actually best suits your needs. Some more details would really help.

Soldato

Something like this, that is a strong PC but if budget is 2.5 with a monitor then just downgrade the CPU to a 5800X

Associate
OP
Thank you all for your support.
What do you think about this basket as a final choice?
Is it worth its price or is there anything you guys would change or add?
This is little bit over the budget but I think I can live with it. ...

Thank you :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £2,751.73 (includes shipping: £20.82)

Soldato

You haven't mentioned what type of gaming you want to do. This may be totally overkill for what you want. It also seems a bit imbalanced to me. Going for 3600/C16 RAM would be better. I have heard some pretty bad things about Gigabyte products which has put me off them.

Also, I generally like to have two storage drives - one for my OS and software, the other for storage and games. Then if a drive corrupts, I've only lost one chunk of my stuff.
Thosy 6900XT cards are super expensive.

Associate
OP
Good points!

Generally I'll be playing online games and also PC will be used for basic work.

Is there anything else you would recommend before I place the order?
Maybe I should go for a cheaper GPU or should I stay with 6900XT?

Also if Gigabyte monitor is not the best, what would you recommend for a similar price?

Soldato
Good points!

Generally I'll be playing online games and also PC will be used for basic work.

Is there anything else you would recommend before I place the order?
Maybe I should go for a cheaper GPU or should I stay with 6900XT?

Also if Gigabyte monitor is not the best, what would you recommend for a similar price?

What type of online games? Have you had a look at system requirements/recommended hardware for your most demanding game?
It seems like you're trying to spend all your budget when you could probably save a lot of money.

Soldato
Would get the 6800XT over the 6900XT since paying an extra £400 for less than 10% performance isn't worth it.

Could go with a B550 and save some cash also unless your going to be regularly transferring large files between 2 PCIe gen 4.0 drives.

Maybe go with 32gb ram also.

Soldato
That's very inbalanced.
Just for start very expensive CPU with no use in gaming, while memory is half for what should be gotten on that budget PC and SSD is QLC Flash based.
And worst of all PSU is basic model with 5 year warranty!

Also cooler is substandard for the CPU and with Intel optimized convex base risk for substandard performance from two convex surfaces being bad at giving good contact.
https://www.igorslab.de/en/kuehlerb...amd-and-conkav-reader-test-and-picture-story/

Neither would very expensive graphics card make sense without corresponding level monitor.

Soldato
That's very inbalanced.
Just for start very expensive CPU with no use in gaming, while memory is half for what should be gotten on that budget PC and SSD is QLC Flash based.
And worst of all PSU is basic model with 5 year warranty!

Also cooler is substandard for the CPU and with Intel optimized convex base risk for substandard performance from two convex surfaces being bad at giving good contact.
https://www.igorslab.de/en/kuehlerb...amd-and-conkav-reader-test-and-picture-story/

Neither would very expensive graphics card make sense without corresponding level monitor.

The build is very well balanced. Huge amounts of performance for very good value.

Seasonic are pretty much the gold standard of PSU’s.

Last edited:
Soldato

First of all zero sense in very expensive GPU for standard resolution.
Top models make sense only for 4K monitors and if you have flexible budget without bad bang for buck limitations.
That drop to step down GPU wouldn't really show in much anything, while freeing notable amount of budget for lot better improvements actually holding their value for years.
Most expensive graphics card again won't hold value much any better than step below model.

Anyway if you want PC for long time with minimal upgrades Ryzen 5900X would be better with plenty of cores for running games and background stuff.
And would change Intel optimized base having cooler to flat based one guaranteedly fitting with Ryzen's convex heatspreader.
Alpenfohn Brocken 3 CPU Cooler - 140mm= £42.95

While for motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk would be better for less.
MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 ATX Motherboard= £209.99
Though unless needing PCIe bandwidth could as well go for whole £50 cheaper B550 boards to save that difference into more usefull things, like 32GB of memory.
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk (AMD AM4) B550 ATX Motherboard= £159.95

Kingston HyperX Predator 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C17 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit (HX436C17PB3K2/32)= £179.99
(there are up to £30 cheaper kits, but out of stock at the moment, or £10 more would give very good RGB Crucial)

And instead of QLC garbage Flash drive TLC drive is better:
TeamGroup MP34 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive= £109.99
Though at that kind budget would be looking for 2TB to make sure space won't run out after handfull of bigger games.
WD Blue SN550 2TB SSD NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Solid State Drive (WDS200T2B0C)= £199.99

And basic 5 year warranty basic PSU is simply horribly substandard for the budget and parts.
Even price isn't good for those facts and non-modular cables.
Some Phanteks/Seasonic Focus GX or Corsair RM would be standard level for well over £1000 cheaper budget.

As for monitor that's very average VA and has really slow dark shade transitions:
https://i.rtings.com/assets/pages/ujX3uRz9/charts-max-balance-large.jpg
Even cranking up RTC will only achieve high overshoot in lots of transitions:
https://i.rtings.com/assets/pages/ujX3uRz9/charts-max-speed-large.jpg
It would certainly show like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34bqY7CToHg&t=318s

For normal room illumination IPS, which are available for similar budget, is better choise for gaming with fast all around response times.
LG 27GL850-B 27" 2560x1440 NANO IPS 144Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync Compatible Widescreen LED Gaming Monit= £298.99
Gigabyte 27" M27Q-EK 2560x1440 SS IPS 170Hz 0.5ms FreeSync LED Backlit Gaming KVM Monitor= £313.99

Soldato
The endurance of solid state drives of 1Tb capacity is impressive regardless if it’s QLC or TLC. Sure, you can pay more for more durability but in a desktop environment it’s many decades of use. It might be worth considering a PCI-E Gen4 drive for the performance and direct data path AMD and Microsoft are working on.

If you are hell bent on 32gb of system memory (not sure what the point would for a desktop system) then a 4x8gb 1Rx8 configuration is best as you can at least leverage some extra performance.

Associate
There is zero reason to buy it when you can get the Corsair RM 750W for the same price.

Trust. Piece of mind. Previous bad experiences with a certain brand of psu. There are reasons to choose certain brands over others. Those reasons are not always logical but they do exist.

On a personal note I would never buy another Corsair psu and would always choose Seasonic. I do massively overspend on PSUs but it gives me piece of mind and they last and last

Soldato
Trust. Piece of mind. Previous bad experiences with a certain brand of psu. There are reasons to choose certain brands over others. Those reasons are not always logical but they do exist.

On a personal note I would never buy another Corsair psu and would always choose Seasonic. I do massively overspend on PSUs but it gives me piece of mind and they last and last

You make it sound like Seasonic are infallible. They are just as capable of making bad units just like any other brand/oem. The fact is the Corsair RM is a better unit. So just because you have had bad experiences with a Corsair product doesn't mean they are all bad.

Soldato
They are just as capable of making bad units just like any other brand/oem.
Completely wrong, that's why their reputation is different because the odds of getting a dud aren't the same between all brands. Corsair unfortunately has had a lot more mishaps hence have a lower reputation. It's very simple.

Back
Top Bottom