PC Build - Air Flow - Is it a problem?

Associate
Hi,

I've had this build running for around 6 months now & it works absolutely fine (apologies for the slightly misleading title). Temps never about 65c on the CPU and GFX around 70c when pushed.

Specs wise:

• AMD 3700x CPU
  • MSI Gaming X Nvidia 1080 - playing in ultra widescreen 1080p (likely to upgrade to 1440p soon)
  • Asus X-570F Mobo
  • Lian Li O11 Razer Edition Case
  • Corsair i150 AIO
  • 6 LL120 Fans
  • 32GB Corsair Vengeance Ram (2x 16GB & the other 2 are just lighting only DIMMS)
  • 650watt Superflower leadex gold PSU
  • 1x Samsung 950 pro 512gb (O2 Install)
  • 1x Samsung 970 Plus 500Gb (some games)
  • 1x 5Tb WD Red 5400HDD (movies etc)

I'm running stock speeds, all fans as low as they can go - original idea was silent pc & aesthetics
Now my question is around airflow.

Currently all of the system fans, LL120's (purple blue colour) are all exhaust. The AIO at the top is the intake.

Now I know this goes against all of the rules etc etc - but I just don't like the look of the bottom fans blowing up as intakes (as it shows the frame etc).

Given that temps are all fine & never really have any crashes etc, should I leave it like this when I upgrade to the 3070? Just wondering as it has a higher wattage & different cooler design.

Apologies if this is a self answered question, just wanted to get others thoughts & if others had been in a similar position where they have compromised on the "textbook" airflow rules, for "looks".

I've attached a link to images of the airflow & some pics of the case, on my Instagram account (apologies I couldn't find anywhere else to host them)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFHgVaCnOxr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Curious to get your thoughts and/or recommendations.

Also - a 650watt Gold PSU is going to be fine for a 3070 right?

Soldato
You are running 66% negative pressure . Normally negative pressure is good for temps as hot air is being blasted away but the downside is that dust will be drawn from every unfiltered part of the case !

You'll have GPU and bottom fans fighting each other for airflow as well .

Best set up for dynamic had been intake at the bottom (yes, ugly frames ) and Exhaust at the side and top . Still runs negative but in a more structured manor .

Might have to wait for reviews but looking like 750w if your going to push it !

Associate
OP
Yeah I figured that; just thinking given everything is running fine, good benchmarks / stable under stress tests without getting hot etc - might just leave as is, you know? unconventional, but if it works & it's silent...

Permabanned
I think it's fine. Many different solutions can be made to work and I applaud your inventiveness! I actually like the solution you have come up with. I would have tried using the bottom fans as intakes as well! In that way it would flood cold air directly on to the GPU, and that's a simple change on your PC so I would try it. I suspect it may drop a few degrees off your GPU which you may appreciate with the 3000 series. Don't worry about not having an exhaust fan, when you have loads of intakes you really don't need an exhaust.
You have a good PSU so you probably will be fine with that unless you intend to overclock.

Soldato
Best set up for dynamic had been intake at the bottom (yes, ugly frames ) and Exhaust at the side and top . Still runs negative but in a more structured manor .
Agree with @orbitalwalsh. The air pushing through the AIO maybe a fraction warmer using air from within the case but your setup is more than cool enough to still keep the CPU frosty. Also, it would be working with the cases's natural thermal currents - heat gravitating towards the top and being assisted with the combo of bottom fans as intakes and the GPU. Plus, the exhaust fans at the sides taking heat away as it rises and thus the resultant risidual cooler air getting exhausted through the AIO.

*You could use lighting strips at the bottom to compensate, if you felt you did have to adapt the bottom fans - @orbitalwalsh can advise on this - and can still give a very effective look in keeping with your RGB criteria.

Yeah I figured that; just thinking given everything is running fine, good benchmarks / stable under stress tests without getting hot etc - might just leave as is, you know? unconventional, but if it works & it's silent...
But, if the aesthetic is really important to you and temps are fine there's no issues in experimenting. Personally, I would switch them and look for a compromise (but i like optimal/quiet systems) - but if the 3070 still keeps temps cool and quiet, with your present orientation, then you may as roll with your preferred aesthetic. It's what the open look of the Dynamic was deigned for - so if you can, have your 'RGB cake' and eat it.

Associate
You are running 66% negative pressure . Normally negative pressure is good for temps as hot air is being blasted away but the downside is that dust will be drawn from every unfiltered part of the case !

You'll have GPU and bottom fans fighting each other for airflow as well .

Might have to wait for reviews but looking like 750w if your going to push it !
Are you sure that's the best? I currently have my O11 with 3 intakes at the bottom, and 6 exhausts (3 on side and 3 on top)

Soldato
Are you sure that's the best? I currently have my O11 with 3 intakes at the bottom, and 6 exhausts (3 on side and 3 on top)
That's what @orbitalwalsh is recommending (from my understanding):

Associate
OP
Is it good to be sucking air in the bottom though with all the dust? must need to be cleaning the filters lots?

So in theory the best set up, however, would be - bottom intake, side exhaust, top AIO exhaust too?

Soldato
Is it good to be sucking air in the bottom though with all the dust? must need to be cleaning the filters lots?
That's what the filter is there for - easy to remove/clean. I use to have my computer sat on a dedicated piece of wood, before i had wood floors, to reduce dust intake as carpet can block intake if case was to sink down too much. But, if you have wood floors or it's sat on your desk(?), dust shouldn't be an issue.

Plus, the PSU does this by default on most computer setups, without any issues if the filter is maintained/cleaned.

So in theory the best set up, however, would be - bottom intake, side exhaust, top AIO exhaust too?
Yes, but as mentioned:

But, if the aesthetic is really important to you and temps are fine there's no issues in experimenting. Personally, I would switch them and look for a compromise (but i like optimal/quiet systems). BUT if the 3070 still keeps temps cool and quiet, with your present fan orientation, then you may as roll with your preferred aesthetic. It's what the open look of the Dynamic was deigned for - so if you can, have your 'RGB cake' and eat it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
me? i've never used a vertical mount mate.

but in terms of 3070 vs 3080 - i think the 3070 will be enough for me. i'm not doing 4k & only a casual gamer & think it would be overkill

Back
Top Bottom