pc freezing while playing games and at desktop

Associate
not sure if i posted in the right section, if not can a mod move to the appropriate place please?

my computer started losing frames while playing games a few days ago, and seems to be getting worse now as its happening while doing regular stuff at the desktop, first i thought the power supply might be going bad so i tried a different one, but the problem remains, then i thought the H80i cpu cooler might be bad so i tried the stock intel cooler with it, didnt fix the problem, i'm really stuck now and have no idea what the problem could be, maybe the cpu itself or motherboard or SSD drive? or even gpu?.

i've noticed that speedfan is reporting some interesting temperatures for the cpu while idling, it says the "CPU" is in the 30's degrees, but it shows 3 cores? and they are sometimes in 50 degrees while the computer is idle...

ajlafa.png

my specs

Windows 10 64bit
intel i5 4690k stock clock
maximus vii gene motherboard
8gb ram
gigabyte windforce gtx 970 4gb ram
crucial ssd 256 gb
psu corsair 600 watt

i see that cpu usage seems quite high in taskmanager too for just having chrome open on this forum

35aj695.png

can anyone help me please? :(

EDIT

i've noticed that windows update seems to be stuck at 0% for a few days now too

312utxg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
As above - see what windows thinks.

Also, I would try clearing the CMOS and then perhaps updating BIOS - most of the updates are system stability updates and chip compatibility updates - details.

Update MB chipset drivers etc..

EDIT: If that doesn't give any joy I would consider reseating the CPU.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom