PC Gaming...What a farce

Associate
OP
i'd agree with that, yes things are way more complex, however this stuff isn't free is it, they are asking for our money, and then rely on the community in many cases to come up with the fixes.

Soldato
I can guarentee if I had bought BC2 on PS3 I would be playing right now, not wasting hours on punkbuster support site for what seems an unfixable problem (PB INIT FAILURE), and yes I have done all they suggested

no you wouldn't it is also down afaik

Permabanned
To be fair EA's "plasma backend" must take up a hell of a lot of resources to enable what, 20 million people to play at the same time, and record all their stats etc ?

Associate
I have a few problems with PC games, not a biggy. My PC hasn't crashed for at least 18 months or more.

If people are comparing PC games of today with PC games of yesteryear, that is an unfair comparison. Today's PC game are far more complicated to code for various set-ups of different PC's.

Consoles are far easier to code, and are of a generic make with low cost parts, unlike a PC who's one single part IE, RAM CPU,Mobo,Graphics card, would cost more than a console.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Why do people constantly Moan about things & want things easy ? :confused:

I absolutely Love the fact that I use my own personal knowledge & skill to get my Gorgeous system to run the games I want to play. I really don't mind being on the cutting edge & dealing with Bugs & Server issues & Lag & the like.
I know it's frustrating but the Challenge is second to none, Like the Ultimate Chess game between Man & Machine. :cool:

Wasn't it Gilly that had a sig that said summit like,

"Don't wish things were Easier, Wish you were Better"
Summit like that anyway.

Anyway Stop whinging you Big Girls.

Soldato
@ OP : PC gaming for me has always been about pushing your hardware as much as possible to obtain maybe a few extra frames per second, wrestling with the settings and drivers and generally sitting back after hours of tweaking knowing you've got that game to run the best it can on your aging system, it's a hobby !!

Let's compare Grand Prix 2 and Crysis for example ? GP2 was released at a time when current PC technology couldn't run it maxed out and no console on the planet could dream of churning out the complexity behind the pixels. Crysis, again released onto a generation of PC's that simply couldn't run it maxed with decent framerates but it didn't stop it being bought by low spec PC gamers!

Gaming on a PC is a challenge always has been but I'd learnt to do my homework and research on new games before blindly handing over hard earned cash. I pay on average £17 for my new games or I wait a few months and buy them for half-price meaning I'm rarely dissapointed.. but then I'm PC smart :p

Caporegime
I agree with a number of good points raised by people here but no matter how frustrating PC gaming can occasionally get I always come back to it. Every console I have bought I have eventually sold. The PC gaming platform is my preferred choice. Once consoles change the pointing device then I'm sold. I'd move over to them in a day. I'd then use my PC then just as a means to work and do other bits and bobs.

Soldato
I agree...errr... with everyone. PC gaming is very different. Imagine how many different configurations there are. You cannot expect a game to work with all. The range of equipment has expanded so much, game makers cannot anticipate all configs.

Consoles will eventually take over... pirating being one reason.

Hey ho. @ OP, I would stick with console gaming if I was you. Might reduce your blood pressure :0 :)

Associate
pc gaming has double the gameplay of console games.

you have hours of fun messing with the settings, and then you have the actual game itself.

this is why i switched to console btw, i dont have time for that amount of gameplay anymore :)

PC gaming will always have issues.

However aside from fancy wireless wand controllers, the PC is a whole step ahead of consoles in terms of power.

I just can't bring myself to pay twice as much for Bad Company 2 on PS3, where it will be lower res, look worse, run worse and use a joypad.

PC gaming is awesome. Consoles have no doubt closed the gap somewhat, but as a keen gamer I will prefer my PC always.

Man of Honour
Consoles aren't much better nowadays.

Sony has just had problems with a PS3 update that made front page national newspaper headlines.

I also remember problems with not being able to play Gran Turismo 5 Prologue because the PS3 and game required updates that kept failing to download and install for hours after I first turned the console on.

As for BFBC2, are you really that suprised? BF2 had crashing problems for years for lots of players as well the game having many patches over it's life time.

Back
Top Bottom