PC Gaming...What a farce

Soldato
I can't remember the last time a game didn't work and crashes are far between. half the time you can restart the program rather than the whole console. My PS3 crashes occasionally especially when web browsing.

Soldato
How do you mean? :)

Because if someone is paying £40 for a console game then it's either only been out 3-4 weeks and/or they are buying it from the high-street. Console games get reduced to around half thie original price in no time. Even new released are often found for £30 apart from things like MW2. But the biggest factor is that console games remain a 100% sellable item. If you a buy a console game for a decent price then you can sell it for 90%-110% of that price once you have finished it.

Permabanned
Because if someone is paying £40 for a console game then it's either only been out 3-4 weeks and/or they are buying it from the high-street. Console games get reduced to around half thie original price in no time. Even new released are often found for £30 apart from things like MW2. But the biggest factor is that console games remain a 100% sellable item. If you a buy a console game for a decent price then you can sell it for 90%-110% of that price once you have finished it.

pc games get reduced price as well in a matter of a few weeks and 75% discount on steam later. not matter how you put it pc games are cheaper. i paid £20 for bad company 2 from ea store. many people never sell their games including myself.

Soldato
PC 4TW. I love my PC gaming.

You have to think how long it would delay a release of a game.. If they was to try and iron out every bug.

Also how much time to get the games on disk and distributed.

Look at STO they had no clue the take up would be so high. And it took a bit of time to get enough servers online.

BF:BC2 has been out a week (just under). And we have had only a few problems. If its not working at the time go and play something else. I do.

Why do people constantly Moan about things & want things easy ? :confused:

I absolutely Love the fact that I use my own personal knowledge & skill to get my Gorgeous system to run the games I want to play. I really don't mind being on the cutting edge & dealing with Bugs & Server issues & Lag & the like.
I know it's frustrating but the Challenge is second to none, Like the Ultimate Chess game between Man & Machine. :cool:

Wasn't it Gilly that had a sig that said summit like,

"Don't wish things were Easier, Wish you were Better"
Summit like that anyway.

Anyway Stop whinging you Big Girls.

Pretty much agree with this tbh. :D

The thread starter is just coming across to me as a console fanboy as well, Ignoring the fact that consoles crash/making up ****** that you can restart it and get straight back into your game, as if you can't with the pc...My pc starts up pretty quickly and that's not the point anyway as I rarely get a total freeze that's not my own fault for overclocking the thing! Normally task manager closes the offending application and then you can get straight back into it!

Bah! Threads like this are becoming boring, go back to the console forum! :(

Associate
I like tweaking my PC and games, messing around with configs etc and doing some modding even, thats one of the cool things about PC gaming but the OP, whatever his motives are has a point nonetheless. The games industry now just takes you for a ride, they don't give a damn. Its all marketing suits calling the shots. The fact consoles are suffering bad QA as well nowadays proves it's not just a PC thing.

Associate
OP
jesus, this isn't supposed to be a console v pc thread.

For the record I love PC's, always have, I also like consoles (PS3 in particular).

My comment is purely around the quality of the releases, software should never be released that cannot perform the function it's intended for, Period, full stop!

BETA is completely different.

Soldato
I have been playing PC games since the days of MS DOS and the 640k limit, also owned every console built I think.

My point to the rabid fan boys is that the quality of released code has gotten much worse of late, the coders rely upon the fact that you will be beta testing their release for them and they will fix it later.

This rarely happened when PC gaming started.

A beta is pre-production release, what other industry releases products for the consumers to find the flaws in, and then 'maybe' fixes them, obviously Toyota is the exception in that :)

You are right when it comes to sloppy coding - look at TF2 as an example. Back in 2008 I could run it at high-med settings in DirectX 9. Now in 2010, I run it in DirectX 8 and on low settings which gives me a shocking average of 25 FPS. The TF2 team has really been slipping in their coding standards, when compared to all the other highly polished Valve games.

Soldato
I am so sick of the complications with trying to use games on PC, two new releases both a nightmare.

BC2 - Multiplayer....Fantastic...when it works, which is rare for me, CTD's, massive patches on release day

SC2 - Apart form being crap, waiting forever for steam to update, play for two days and then another massive patch.

Haven't these guys heard of QA?

Yer I have herd of QA as I dam well works in Games QA , reporting a bug is a lot different to a dev or programmer fixing a bug , point your anger else ware.

Associate
OP
ok so you work in QA, good stuff, would you not think the 'gold release' should have the bugs addressed?, reason I'm banging on is I have managed multiple areas in IT and can't understand how this lack of professionalism is tolerated

Soldato
I hate it as much as you do but QA is the bottom feeders of the Games biz and treated like so in the vast majority of places.

I remember a few times when I've had to strong arm a producer on a game as a system crashing bug was put into the "production black hole" and wasn't going to be touched.

The bug ? pressing the guide button on a end of level cut scene (the first level intact) on a Xbox game. Was a couple of years ago though

Back
Top Bottom