1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc keeps restarting when im gaming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by adamf154, 7 Apr 2021.

1. adamf154

Associate

Hi, was looking for some advice i am currently playing 2 games at different times that keep restarting my pc unexpectedly, i could be playing for hours, then they crash and restart pc just a black screen and you know its restarted, both are 2/3 years old, i have 40gb ram (32 which is a few months old), gtx1660 6gb which is a few months old, my 850w psu is almost 2 years old, and a ryzen 7 1700 cpu, the heatsink isnt blocked and there isnt anything else running in the background, i done a furmark test earlier and a 1 hour occt test yesterday that checks everything and neither caused the pc to crash, and the psu seems to be running fine also, i have msi afterburner in the background, my graphics card isnt overheating and my cpu has been set to alarm if it goes over 80 degress and didnt before the restart, so im lost as to why this is happening everything is working fine and not overheating, the only other thing is ive been using a Fling trainer on both games which is running on each game when its crashed, but i use these quite alot and ive never had any problem with them before but see no reason as to why they would make pc restart after an a few hours of playing.

any other help or advice would be appreciated as ive run out of ideas

Thanks

Last edited: 7 Apr 2021
  2. Cooler running

Hitman

I can't say there is much in your post that would lead to a solution.
    As a side note I'm not sure what a Fling Trainer but it sounds like a problem based of 5 minutes of searching.

Otherwise I can give you general advice such as:

1) Update Windows (if required)
    2) Reinstall GPU drivers
    3) Reapply XMP profile of your RAM
    4) Re-paste the CPU
    5) Dump the random 8 GB stick you have in with the 32 GB kit
    6) Remove and CPU overclocks returning it to default boosting behaviour

3. something daft already!!

Soldato

Check event viewer for the error at the time, this may help, maybe not. Often you just see Kernel Power errors.
    40GB of RAM is an odd amount to have. Are they a mix of different RAM sticks? If so, try running only using the same sticks, ditch the 8GB.
    Try running everything at stock, remove any overclocks.
    Check for updated BIOS and drivers.
    There is no such word as "alot". It is "a lot" :)

Last edited: 8 Apr 2021
  4. adamf154

Associate

i use alot qiute alot so ram that and the 40gb right up your arse:cry:

5. something daft already!!

Soldato

Not certain what you are trying to write here. Perhaps English is not your first language?

I guess you don't want help but I will leave my post as is as it may help someone else.

6. Danny75

Sgarrista

Must have downloaded some dodgy RAM.

7. adamf154

Associate

im not actually writing anything i am typing, but a p***k and a racist??? well done for getting reported

Last edited: 8 Apr 2021
  8. DoneADougalOnSofa

Wise Guy

I'd stick with 32GB ram, you don't want mismatched memory in there.
    As I assume you have 2x16GB sticks, that's quite a load on the memory controller, which isn't the strongest in 1st gen Ryzen. What speed are you aiming for, and what are they rated at?

First things first, get that odd stick out, and make sure the 32GB is in the correct slots.

9. adamf154

Associate

A trainer is like a cheat, its a program that gives you unlimited health and ammo and other things, Fling is just the maker of that particular trainer

1.windows doesnt need updated
    2.ive not long installed an update
    3.cpu doesnt need repasted
    4.i took out the 8gb but ram is not the problem
    5.nothing is overclocked

I actually think its the game trainer that im using its the same make on both games that are crashing, pc isnt overheating, its not a ram problem, ill just have to play the game properly lol without all the unlimited stuff

10. something daft already!!

Soldato

:cry:

11. adamf154

Associate

ok so ive found out its not the trainers that are crashing my pc, i was playing one of the games last night without the trainer and it crashed twice to the desktop, so i thought it might be that when the trainer was being used, but i restarted my pc this morning and as soon as it loaded i clicked firefox and it crashed again, so i started playing the game again today without the trainer and it restarted the pc, and when it loaded i clicked firefox again and the pc restarted again and thenagain after firefox was opened, so i left it until everything had loaded and it didnt crash, im not saying its firefox but im going to restart it a few times and see what happens, as a precaution im probably going to format my ssd and reinstall windows its a pain but i think its nearly a year since i got my ssd, that ssd is just for windows, all my files are on other ssd's

12. Game

Hitman

a trainer is a cheat tbh but that would depend on the game anything multi player and its really not on

lot of them are virus ridden to hell so your windows could be infected just to be safe reset your bios as well

13. Game

Hitman

14. adamf154

Associate

i dont do online gaming and i wouldnt use a trainer if i did as they would know quite quickly, it is sometimes useful in games where you have a bit to travel and you can teleport or run with super speed, but mainly the unlimited health is really good if its not saving as regularly as you would like as it stops you having to keep playing the same bit again and again if its hard to get thru, and no reload and unlimited ammo saves a bit of time, most trainers detect some sort of virus not sure if its a false positive though, but ill reinstall windows and when everything is set up again ill try the game again that has been crashing most, but it could just be bug ridden games you dont really know what you get downloading games, just strange that both are crashing the same way, and the pc has crashed when the games have not been played

15. ebilcake

Wise Guy

Check the event log for any clues to what caused it, sometimes helps.

Otherwise a fresh install of windows is often a good idea, fixed some restarts I had a few months back, I never did figure out what the issue was.

Chill - Lots of people use trainers, so long as they're from a reliable source, they're fine and contain no virus despite what Windows Defender or any other antivirus might say.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2021
  16. Dave2150

Sgarrista

:D:D:D

To the OP - only way you'll figure out the culprit for sure is a process of elimination.

Update BIOS, which'll also reset you to default settings, set XMP profile
    Fresh windows install (perhaps on another SSD/HDD just for testing purposes)
    Try a known working PSU from another PC
    Try a known working GPU from another PC
    Try known working RAM from another PC

Last edited: 9 Apr 2021
  17. adamf154

Associate

ive not had a chance to play the games that i was playing but i have reinstalled windows, it was def needing a reinstall but the pc has crashed 2 or 3 times since and it wasnt under any pressure or overheating, the latest crash made the screen go black but shouldve restarted but it didnt, the mouse and keyboard were off so i had to restart manually, so ive moved the graphics card into the other slot, i had alot of problems before with the screen going blank and funny colours so i had moved the graphics card i had then into the other slot and done loads of other checks, its seemed to work better in that slot, i suspected the card or the main graphics slot might be faulty then so ill see how it goes with that first, ram was checked with the windows diagnostic checks and was fine but ive moved the 2 16gb sticks into the other 2 slots, ill see how it goes for a couple of weeks or until it crashes again, if it does ill try one ram stick in each slot for a week or two or until it crashes again and just keep trying both ram sticks in the 4 slots, but this could potentially take weeks to figure out the problem, the motherboard and psu are only 2 years old so im hoping its neither of those

18. billysielu

Capodecina

Wtf is this thread lmao

19. adamf154

Associate

who the f is this idiot read the post and you will find out LMAO