PC locks up completely when on XBox Live sometimes (5 times in last 24 hrs)

Associate
Hi everyone,

I have a rather large issue with my PC and Xbox 360 regarding Internet connection sharing.

My 360 connects to my router via my PC's connection to the router.

In the last 24 hours my PC has crashed/locked up completely 5 times disconnecting me from Live and rendering my PC un-usable until I restart with the power button.

Any ideas as to what could cause a complete PC lock up when I'm using my 360 on live?

Windows does tell me there is an ip conflict but this has never caused lock ups before.

Please help me!

Associate
OP
my router states that the address on the router used is different for the 360 from the pc so it's not that, how would i know what to assign the 360 as an ip though?

:(

I don't think there's anything else on the network to crash me, but there are 2 other pcs connected to the router most of the time.

Associate
My 360 connects to my router via my PC's connection to the router.

Assuming here that your PC has 2 NIC's and you connect through the PC so you don't have to run more cable?

If your PC is reporting an IP conflict I can only assume that the xbox has given itself a default IP due to no access to DHCP from the router and if the router is say 192.168.0.1 and the xbox also got that address your PC might get a tad confused =]

If this is how you have it set up I'd just use 2 different subnets on your cards...

router // 192.168.0.* // PC // 192.168.1.* // 360

Statically assign the 192.168.1.* addresses and then let your router DHCP assign the addresses on the 192.168.0.* range. Other than that, run another cable to your 360 from the router and let DHCP do all the work =]

If this is totally not how you have it set up, ignore the above :D

Associate
OP
lol, I don't want to seem like a fool, but It's rather confusing, to be honest I don't know how I got as far as to get it to work in the first place....

I have a router downstairs (netgear, that propular model) my PC is connected to it wirelessly, a cat 5 cable is then connected from my PC to the 360 and the 360 is using my PC's conection to the router.

The router states that there are 2 machines using the same MAC, this must be my PC and the 360. The router has assigned my PC a 192.168.0.whatever and my 360 another different one.

My PC froze again just now by the way, hence my further posting here.

I have noticed the lockup happens about the same amount of time after logging into live each time. It takes about 15mins then I get a complete PC lockup.

Anyone able to step by step me?

Associate
Tbh, goto nearest electrical retailer and get a 360 Wireless Adapter. All automatic apart from the key entry for your wireless. I don't know the exact details of how ICS works but I'd have thought it would have hidden any devices behind your PC, this doesn't seem to be the case...

Maybe this should get moved up to the networking section to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. As I've got a network at home I never had to use ICS.

Associate
OP
ok thanks for trying to help, literally just happened again, i rebooted the router so shall see what happens, but if someone could move this to the networking forum then that would be nice, thanks.

Associate
OP
guys, i hear you about the wireless thingy, but it'sa bit too much money for what it is.

By the way, so far no crashes since i rebooted the router.

Associate
OP
OK, my 360 just locked up during an online race of Moto GP demo.

The rumble pad is still going but the screen has frozen mid race.

:eek: :(

Pc still running fine though.

Associate
OP
Ok, an update...

Since I took the phone line out for 5 mins and rebooted the router I have had no PC lock ups.

Not sure why this solved it all or seems to have, but so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom