PC Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer verdict

Associate
4Play, you're absolutely right. I didn't notice that first time I watched it. That's minimum of about 150 ping there. If that happens on a dedicated server you can almost guarantee it's not a UK server, and I usually leave.

Can't be good. Glad I haven't wasted money on it.

Associate
I think some people are being really picky about the MP on MW2, the game has only been out for a day if that, there are bound to be a few issues.

Give it a month or so and the issues will hopefully be patched up :)

IMO MP is great, maps are a decent size and the choice of weapons and addons for them is awesome and ive not really experienced any lag and ping has been good.

Cant wait to unlock better kill streaks :)

Associate
just played afew matches, saw an [Ocuk] tag but the guy left before it started. hello to you if you were just in a TDM list but left early.

so far its bit confusing with what's going on, as its loads of perks etc to take in, i like it, very different to Cod4 map wise, very urban.

not had any real issue with hit reg, or lag, and my net is rubbish, so thats all good, friends wont have it till tomorrow/12th so will see how it goes trying to join that way.

thumbs up from me so far

Associate
Pretty pleased with mp so far, runs great and have had no real hiccups but feel it is ruined by taking away the choice of where

you want to play and whom you play with. Would also like to see HC on all game types as well...hate those crosshairs

Soldato
OP
Look on the IW forums and you will see that the iwnet system is not infact ok. People are complaining about severe lag problems.

They make it appear as if there is less lag by messing with the hit detection.

Lol well I can go and read a forum or just play the game. My views are what I have seen of the game so far so I don't need to read other people's views!

I'm not defending the removal of dedicated servers at all, but just wanted to point out it's still fun multiplayer and not completely useless like some people make out. It won't have the lasting appeal of COD4 or 5 as for one no-one I know has bought it on PC and two the smaller maps, etc will get boring quickly, but for £17 I'm happy with it. I buy a DVD for £15 and two hours later I've watched the film. So far I've passed that figure.

It's not as long term as the original CODs but if you can get it cheap I recommend it for the single player alone and a bit of MP thrown in. That's how I'm looking at it and that's what I paid for.

Associate
what he said above, pretty decent game, MP is nnot going to be as good as previous cods for reasons that have been said, but its good enough for a bit of fun. Saying that after a bit of MW2 i did have a quick game of COD5! I missed a busyish server, about 20 people suits me, keeps you busy!

Associate
I hate it. A complete waste of £40 that i promissed myself thati would spend after the announcement of the dedi servers

1. The stupid IW server matching is hit and miss. If you manage to get on a server that is acceptable stay on it and pray the rest stay aswell. Ive also had it swap server mid game to move to a "better host!"
2. You cant lean left or right. This was always an important part of all the other Cod games.
3. Only softcore mode. Which I personally dont like as when youve got such small maps your constantly running into 2 or more people at the same time. 1 kill uses 50-75 of you semis mag.
4. Too many stupid perks, ranks, titles and other crap you get after each round
5. AC130 is far too deadly. You can easily get 20-30 frags in one go of it.

In general the game is a kiddies version of Cod4. I do like some of the new weapons but the rest of the game just makes it unplayble for me. Back to cod2 & 4 for me.

Associate
I've only played for an hour ish and that was late at night but I found it fankly excellent and I was one of the naysayers and haters - the system they have designed on has worked 100% for me so far. No noticable lag and lots of great fun and the maps are well designed and balanced.

HOWEVER, its still never going to match up to dedicated servers, there is always going to be more lag, hold ups waiting for players (especially in a few months time) and the inability for modders and really being able to do what you want to do - thats the problem, flexibility.

The game is excellent no doubt about it, but it needs dedicated even though they have done a good job of the system it currently uses. I don't regret buying it for one second though, the single player is simply awesome.

Associate
I think some people are being really picky about the MP on MW2, the game has only been out for a day if that, there are bound to be a few issues.

Give it a month or so and the issues will hopefully be patched up :)

IMO MP is great, maps are a decent size and the choice of weapons and addons for them is awesome and ive not really experienced any lag and ping has been good.

Cant wait to unlock better kill streaks :)

Its not that I want to be picky, quite the opposite as I was really looking forward to this. But I hate to see x box live lag on a Pc :( its just not right. Everything looks sweet pls pls pls bring ds :p

Caporegime
From what ive read in cod4 on the 360 you couldn;t lean either so the pc had to have that coded in specifically. If thats true then they just didnt bother their asses for this one and are using the "not balanced" excuse to explain ( though it doesnt do a good job) why its not in the game. :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
I hate it. A complete waste of £40 that i promissed myself thati would spend after the announcement of the dedi servers

1. The stupid IW server matching is hit and miss. If you manage to get on a server that is acceptable stay on it and pray the rest stay aswell. Ive also had it swap server mid game to move to a "better host!"
2. You cant lean left or right. This was always an important part of all the other Cod games.
3. Only softcore mode. Which I personally dont like as when youve got such small maps your constantly running into 2 or more people at the same time. 1 kill uses 50-75 of you semis mag.
4. Too many stupid perks, ranks, titles and other crap you get after each round
5. AC130 is far too deadly. You can easily get 20-30 frags in one go of it.

In general the game is a kiddies version of Cod4. I do like some of the new weapons but the rest of the game just makes it unplayble for me. Back to cod2 & 4 for me.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the lack of hardcore mode! I always played hardcore on the original so find this a little strange. I'm enjoying the SP at the moment and will play a bit of the MP now and again but I'll refer to this version as COD 4 lite with extra weapons.

I suppose its a mix of Halo/COD 4 with the matchmaking, small maps, etc so if that appeals to you then get the game. If you're looking for a COD 4 hardcore experience stay away! I feel sorry for you paying £40 though :( I'd feel a bit ill if I paid that much as the single player is fun but a bit short and multiplayer won't hold you for ages. It's definitely a dumbed down version of the original so no long term appeal. I'm personally looking forward to doing the 2 player spec ops with a mate when he buys it but will dip into multiplayer now and again. I don't like the non-hardcore play and noob tubing however so that will put me off long term playing.

One thing I have noticed though is there is a "Hardcore" mode unlocked when you get to a higher level? The matchmaking option is grayed out though until you unlock it? Not sure what that is about as the manual explains bugger all!

Soldato
No hardcore mode? Yet more fail. Really glad I returned mine.

Anyone who buys this game is just kicking all other PC gamers in the nuts.

I run my own server for COD4 and control all the noob perks to make the game more enjoyable.

Soldato
No hardcore mode? Yet more fail. Really glad I returned mine.

Anyone who buys this game is just kicking all other PC gamers in the nuts.

I run my own server for COD4 and control all the noob perks to make the game more enjoyable.

there is hardcore mode but u can only play it when u reach lvl 19

Back
Top Bottom