PC noob, need advice/info

Associate
Good afternoon, I recently bought a gaming pc and I want to know what I require or if it’s possible to upgrade with what I want, any advice is appreciated. Il start with my set up.

case: CIT prism
Motherboard: asus prime a320m-k
Processor: ryzen 3 3200g
Graphics: Vega 8 (built into ryzen 3)
Ram: Corsair vengeance lpx 3000mhz ddr 4 2x8Gb
Psu: fierce PC 450watt

not great but my first pc and I’m a complete noob lol so I’m wondering if I can add a gpu that will fit/work well, I have been looking at the ADM RX580 is this a possible upgrade? Thanks, Shane

Soldato
Yeah you can put a graphics card in that, the RX 580 would be a solid upgrade to play @ 1080p.

Could you check the exact make/model of that power supply though? Only concern is it's non-branded and seems to be the retailer's name. Might not be good enough to run a dedicated GPU.

Associate
OP
Yeah you can put a graphics card in that, the RX 580 would be a solid upgrade to play @ 1080p.

Could you check the exact make/model of that power supply though? Only concern is it's non-branded and seems to be the retailer's name. Might not be good enough to run a dedicated GPU.
Thanks for the fast reply mate, yer I will have a look at the psu and get back to you, thanks

Man of Honour
From what I can see on their website, that PSU has around 330 watts available on the +12v rail.

In theory your PC should happily come in below that, but I don't know how it will react to such a powerful graphics card. It also appears to have only one 8 pin PCI-E connector.

A 1650 (bad value), 1650 Super or a used 1050 Ti (bad value new) might be safer, but the RX 580 will be a better buy (based on current prices / stock).

Associate
OP

It seems you are right about the psu, I think it’s just a cheap one with the firms logo on it. So I would need to get a better psu before installing the rx580? If so what would you recommend? Thanks

Associate
OP
From what I can see on their website, that PSU has around 330 watts available on the +12v rail.

In theory your PC should happily come in below that, but I don't know how it will react to such a powerful graphics card. It also appears to have only one 8 pin PCI-E connector.

A 1650 (bad value), 1650 Super or a used 1050 Ti (bad value new) might be safer, but the RX 580 will be a better buy (based on current prices / stock).
Thanks for the info mate, could you tell me what the PCI-E connector is and what it does? It might be a stupid question lol but I’m completely new to PC I’ve played console my whole life. Thanks

Soldato
I had a look at that Fierce PSU and it's only got 26 amps on the 12v rail. AFAIK the RX 580 needs 19 amps so it's cutting it close, as assuming it's a decent and efficient PSU. It could work, but then it could blow it too, or blue screen and crash etc...

If you want a new PSU - then on a budget, I'd get this BeQuiet 550w at a minimum for £55 - but it's not modular... If you want a modular PSU then I'd get the Phanteks AMP 550w for £87.

A 'modular' PSU basically means the cables aren't permanently attached to the power supply unit, so you can just connect the cables you want to use, to keep your cables in the case tidy. If you're not bothered about the cables being attached and lying around the case, then the cheaper BeQuiet model will work just fine.

Then GPU wise... For the RX 580 I'd get the Asus Arez RX 580 model (£170). Or considering if you're gonna get a quality PSU, the Gigabyte 1660 Super (£218) would be an even nicer upgrade, if you have the budget. ;)

Back
Top Bottom