Associate
Hi,

Bit of a weird problem here. My brother's had his PC for two years now. Since about six months into owning the PC, he's had problems with the boot sequence.

It's usually fine, but every so often, it'll get caught in a boot loop where the fans spin, but there's no MoBo lighting or no display on screen. He usually fixes this by taking out the 24 pin MoBo power cable and plugging it back in. This used to happen a lot, but recently only every couple of weeks.

Today, I bought some new thermal paste and applied it to his CPU to replace his old Cooler Master stuff. Everything was great, temps were fine after some stress testing, no problem.

Then, midway through installing his games, the PC just froze. Display was still on, but no mouse movement, screen had visibly paused and wouldn't get going again. I shut the PC down, fired it back up and the boot loop problem arose.

This time though, the MoBo light was coming on. I did the usual with the MoBo power cable, nothing. The PSU fan wasn't even spinning and we were fearing the worst. After a few more attempts, the PSU fan was spinning but still no power. After countless more attempts, it just appeared to fix itself and is currently running okay.

Obviously, the worry is that this issue will arise again. Any thoughts on what it might be? Really appreciate any help.

His specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270P-D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB ARMOR Video Card
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA B3 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Back
Top Bottom