• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC to TV problem

Associate
This is a bit of an odd one but here goes,

I have put together a little media center pc and had it all working via VIVO to S-Video converter then S-Video to Scart lead on an old Goodmans TV.
It was displaying fine and in colour without a problem but then the TV died (nothing to do with the setup) so i had to get a new TV.

Managed to get one free of charge from a mate and ended up with a nice, free Samsung.....Only problem is i only get the windows desktop in black and white! When XP Pro is loading the logo is in colour and all appears fine but just before it boots to the "Welcome" screen its flickers and then goes black and white.

Have tried to mess with the card settings with no joy! Anyone have any words of wisdom to hand me? Really desperate to get this little project up and running so any help would be apreciated, and figured that this is the place to start asking.

The relevent details of the shuttle are:

AGP Nvidia 6600GT 128mb with DVI VGA and VIVO
(not sure on the driver version)

Windows XP Pro SP2

Hope you guys can help,

-Mef-

Caporegime
so yourr trying to project your desktop onto a tv?

If so:

right click on desktop> Properties> settings> Advanced> Geforce 6600GT> nView display settings> click on the tv (should be in clone mode) then click on device settings> Select TV format> Advanced> Video output format. It will probably be on auto, change it to composite and your Tv should then be in colour. If its not change it to s-video.

Quite long but i hope you understand it and it works. :)

Associate
I think s-video transmits the colour signal on one wire the brightness on another. It may be that your new TV cannot pick up the s-video colour signal over the scart input your using.
Can you try another scart socket, or a direct s-video input?
Also check the pc/video card and tv are set to the same video format, PAL

Associate
OP
The TV does initially show in colour when the XP loading screen comes up, Just flips to black and white when it hits the Welcome screen.

Soldato
I had a similar problem ages ago, just using the s-video cable. I had to connect the PC's audio-out to the TV's audio-in to get a colour picture. I know that sounds crazy, but without the audio link I could only get a B&W picture.

Associate
OP
Will have a check later but the PC audio is connected via a Jack to the Scart, It is a preformed cable.

Thanks a lot though guys, Its given me enough to go on and hopefully get the problem sorted.

Cheers,

-Mef-

Back
Top Bottom