Associate
Hi

Despite having revived my PC (I am incredibly grateful to @Plec for all his help and patience), it has prompted me to do what I have intended for a long time: to upgrade my ageing system. It currently comprises:-
  • CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
  • RAM: 2 x 2gb of Corsair XMS2-8500 1066MHz 5-5-5-15 (CM2X2048-8500C5D)
  • PSU: Antec NeoPower 550
  • MB: Abit IX38 QuadGT
  • GPU: GeForce GT9600
  • HDDs: Samsung 840 Evo Pro 512gb SSD + 3 SATA HDDs (various)
I can't afford to upgrade the whole setup in one go, so am looking at upgrading the mobo/CPU/RAM first and the PSU/GPU/HDDs when funds allow.

I have been offered the following:-
  • Boxed MSI B250 Gaming Pro Carbon Kaby Lake 1151 ATX mobo 3 yr warranty, 4 weeks old
  • I5 7400 cpu used (from an existing MSI Trident setup)

My questions are:
  1. what do people think the above mobo/cpu combo is realistically worth?
  2. would the above represent a value for money upgrade?
  3. if I went for the above, I'd also want to source compatible DDR4 RAM, ideally 16gb, and have identified some Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz C16 XMP 2.0, unless anyone can suggest/offer anything better?
  4. would my existing PSU be able to handle the power draw of mobo/cpu combo or is this not an issue?
Many thanks for all views and advice offered.

Last edited:
Soldato
@largeruk - stick to your original thread - it's not great being linked all over the place to help solve an issue already being discussed.

i.e. you haven't listed your existing spec (mainly your PSU) - it could be that your PSU is dead too or not suitable to be used in any other PC - so this would be another cost that would need to be factored in.

Plus, i advise you edit out the competitor links before the mods see them - it's against forum rules - but that's pretty much as cheap as memory gets for branded/new 16Gb.

Soldato
Besides its age PSU could use updating to modern one.

As for CPU, quad core is very low end by todays standards and even more so in few months, so its value would depend on use.
For some old games and web surfing etc light use it would do.
But for more modern games/enthusiast use it just isn't that good.
I mean next-gen consoles are likely going to walk over it in CPU power without even noticing they stepped on something...

Back
Top Bottom