PC wont display after New GPU upgrade, Now Old GPU wont work neither is onboard graphics

Associate
Hi All,

I have an Asus H87M-E motherboard with a core i5 processor with a sapphire HD7800 GPU. Built the PC exactly 4 years ago. I decided to upgrade the GPU yesterday so went on amazon and bought a Saphire RX 580 Nitro Plus.

So I powered off my PC disconnected the cables etc and installed the new GPU.

I have a Be quiet 530W PSU and after powering up the PC it will restart after every 5 seconds and there is no output on the monitor, I swapped the GPU back to my old working GPU same issue, restarting every 5 seconds with no output.

I removed the CMOS battery and re-inserted it then it does not restart but still no output on the display. I used the onboard HDMI and DVi, still no display.

I have also removed my old working GPU and tried the Onboard HDMI and DVI no luck.

After swapping the old GPU with the new one again, it will restart every 5 seonds with no display and clearing the CMOS is the only way to get it to stay on or by removing 2 of the 4 sticks of RAM.

Every now and then it will restart every 5 seocnds whenever I swap the GPU over and either removing the CMOS or swapping or removing the memory stick get it to stay on and not restart every 5 seconds.

I disconnect the cables etc CMOS RAm over night and tried it again this morning and it still doing the same Thing.

Please help. I dont mind sending the New GPU back as long as I can get my PC working again.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Getting new CMOS battery would be cheap first check.

So it doesn't stay powered even with minimum parts and basically does same thing no matter what you do?

Can you get any other PSU from sya friend to check if it changes it anything?
Only 530W BeQuiets I know are cheap mediocrities at best and made with cheap capacitors so wouldn't be wonder if PSU kicked the bucket when it was likely disconnected from wall during changing graphics cards.

Associate
Could be a PSU issue. It's also possible a BIOS update might be needed on the motherboard, I do know of issues with older motherboards with the radeon 4xx series and nvidia 10xx series that they just freeze on the splash screen and need a BIOS update to work.

Associate
OP
Getting new CMOS battery would be cheap first check.

So it doesn't stay powered even with minimum parts and basically does same thing no matter what you do?

Can you get any other PSU from say friend to check if it changes it anything?
Only 530W BeQuiets I know are cheap mediocrities at best and made with cheap capacitors so wouldn't be wonder if PSU kicked the bucket when it was likely disconnected from wall during changing graphics cards.

I ll try and replace the CMOS for a start.

Getting a PSU to try is gonna be an issue really for me, most people use Prebuilt Dell etc.

It stays powered when I removed the CMOS and put it back but still, nothing shows on the Display either using the Old GPU or onboard.

It's just insane because my Old GPU was working okay until the moment I switch it off and now nothing. But IF I remove the Old working GPU and try to power on with the Onboard graphics , the CPU fan is working and other things but still no show on the display.

Associate
OP
Could be a PSU issue. It's also possible a BIOS update might be needed on the motherboard, I do know of issues with older motherboards with the radeon 4xx series and nvidia 10xx series that they just freeze on the splash screen and need a BIOS update to work.

So even the onboard graphics would not work, if i remove all external GPU?

Associate
OP
Tried new CMOS battery still the same behaviour, seems trying another psu is the only option, am thinking perhaps I should just buy/build another base unit.

any suggestions welcome, thanks

Soldato
If computer/PSU has been always kept connected to wall and then it gets disconnected (like when changing component) bad capacitors which still barely work when warm can cool triggering problem when trying to start PC.

Any BIOS update need of new GPU wouldn't affect old cared.
Clearing CMOS at the latest should solve problem coming from some incompatibility.

Associate
OP
If computer/PSU has been always kept connected to wall and then it gets disconnected (like when changing component) bad capacitors which still barely work when warm can cool triggering problem when trying to start PC.

Any BIOS update need of new GPU wouldn't affect old cared.
Clearing CMOS at the latest should solve problem coming from some incompatibility.

I just pulled all the ram from the mother board after clearing the RTC and powered the motherboard I expect to hear a beep if no RAM detected but nothing..

Soldato
I just pulled all the ram from the mother board after clearing the RTC and powered the motherboard I expect to hear a beep if no RAM detected but nothing..
Does your case or motherboard have that beeper?
Without that there's won't be any error beeps and especially cheaper cases have long omitted it.

Soldato
Work from the bottom up, forgot the GPU for now(plug into onboard for the moment), use 1 stick of memory(test stick individually as needed) and quit pulling the battery, boards have a clear CMOS jumper for doing this(making sure not to leave it in the clear position during boot). Disconnect your optical drives and hard drives, boot the system and see if you at least get a display, then your work your way through adding things back if you get a successful bootup(ie. you can at least see something on the screen and reach the bios).

Associate
OP
Work from the bottom up, forgot the GPU for now(plug into onboard for the moment), use 1 stick of memory(test stick individually as needed) and quit pulling the battery, boards have a clear CMOS jumper for doing this(making sure not to leave it in the clear position during boot). Disconnect your optical drives and hard drives, boot the system and see if you at least get a display, then your work your way through adding things back if you get a successful bootup(ie. you can at least see something on the screen and reach the bios).

Thank you for this suggestion, This did the trick. I removed the 2 sticks of new ram I added few months ago and removed one of the 2 sticks I have had since 4 years ago when I built the system and I was able to get a display and then I added the second stick, no display, added the new sticks display again I am not back to where I was before trying out the new Card. SO many thanks for your help.

Thanks to everyone who posted much appreciated.

Soldato
Thank you for this suggestion, This did the trick. I removed the 2 sticks of new ram I added few months ago and removed one of the 2 sticks I have had since 4 years ago when I built the system and I was able to get a display and then I added the second stick, no display, added the new sticks display again I am not back to where I was before trying out the new Card. SO many thanks for your help.

Thanks to everyone who posted much appreciated.

Happy to help and glad to hear you got the system up and running. Have a great christmas matey.

Back
Top Bottom