PC WON'T POST/BOOT, DRAM/VGA/BOOT LIGHT ON

Associate
Hi,

Just got some new parts delivered today to go along some older parts that I was going to upgrade further in the future

Spent a few hours whacking my bits together, boom, doesn't post, epic. EZDEBUG LEDs are showing, DRAM, VGA & BOOT. CPU seems to be working, nice.

I was panicking last night because I discovered the CPU has an extra 4pin connector which the PSU doesn't have, however, other forums seem to say it's not needed.

BUT

I feel like it's the PSU that's causing this issue? I've tried all the ram slots, removed gpu, tried using a different boot drive, all fans are working so i dunno

help

help

help

New Parts
- MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI
- AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
- CORSAIR LPX VENGEANCE 3600MHZ
- CORSAIR MP510 M.2
- NZXT KRAKEN X72

Old Parts
- NVIDIA 980
- CORSAIR CX750M
- sdd & hdd, not plugged in yet though

Soldato
Try removing then replacing the CMOS battery after waiting 10 mins or so.

Make sure you didn't over tighten the CPU cooler.

Associate
OP
Try removing then replacing the CMOS battery after waiting 10 mins or so.

Make sure you didn't over tighten the CPU cooler.

Tried that twice, nothing

CPU has only been tightened slightly after the point of not being thumb screwable, cpu led is off so don't think that could be the problem

Soldato
Would try updating the bios with bios flashback.

Were the old parts part of a system or stuff you brought used to go along with you new stuff?

Associate
OP
Would try updating the bios with bios flashback.

Were the old parts part of a system or stuff you brought used to go along with you new stuff?

out of an old system, literally used powersupply last night to get my windows license from old pc

just dug out my old 450w psu, pretty sure enough not powerful enough with the graphics card in, all of the lights (apart from gpu bc thats not plugged in)

psu died overnight? idk losing the plot

Soldato
out of an old system, literally used powersupply last night to get my windows license from old pc

just dug out my old 450w psu, pretty sure enough not powerful enough with the graphics card in, all of the lights (apart from gpu bc thats not plugged in)

You say the GPU isn't plugged in, where are you getting signal from?

Soldato

Don't think it's the psu, your 450w psu should be enough to test that with and get the system to boot with the Gpu installed, won't work without the Gpu as the 3700x has no onboard graphics. Make sure you connect to the monitor from a port at the rear of the Gpu as if it's connected from the motherboard this won't work either.

Soldato
Lets break this down, first of all, that motherboard does need either an 8 pin or a 4 pin (if its supported) plugged into the 12v EPS connector at the top of the board, read the manual and see if 4 pin is supported, if not, then you need a new PSU.

2nd, if its getting through all of the post LED's CPU, RAM, VGA etc then getting stuck on BOOT, this is because it couldnt detect a boot device, because you dont have you hard drives plugged in, however, it should still display your bios on your monitor, providing A. you have you graphics card plugged in, B you have power to your graphics card if required, and C you have your monitor cable plugged into your graphics card, not the onboard video outputs of the motherboard (Onboard HDMI port), a RyZen 3700X does not have any onboard graphics, you MUST use a graphics card.

EDIT: Just had a look at a picture of the board, im pretty sure the 8 pin 12v EPS is required, the 4 pin is alternative (extra power for higher powered CPUs)

Back
Top Bottom