PC Won't Shut Down

Associate
Hey - I'm having a recent issue where my PC won't shut down or restart. The graphics card shuts down as the monitors lose signal and I hear the hard disks spining down. However any RGB in the case (including RAM) and all the fans stay active. I have to hold the power button to power down after that.

Any suggestions / advice?

Soldato
Hybrid sleep / Fast start.

As a test, press and hold the Shift key whilst clicking on Shutdown (or restart) but the real test is Shutdown as then you'll know it's off.

If that works, post back and we'll look at the options.

Associate
OP
Yep it's win10. Tried it twice - second time a troubleshooting menu appeared and I selected Power Off and that still hung. Should I have selected another option?

Associate
Curious, just to revive this but did you get to the bottom of it?

I had a similar issue which turned out to be a faulty GPU. Exactly as you describe, wouldn't shut down or restart, swapped out the GPU and all was as it should be.

Soldato
Mine keeps starting back up ramdomly.
It sometimes shutsdown and restarts straight away and sometimes it does not, but I can leave it off and then eventually after a random length of time, I will go and the there!
Sometimes Its kind of hung just after it displays the PRESS DEL FOR BIOS, it seems to hang there or it gets to the desktop.
Sometimes it fails 3 times and goes into the BIOS anyway and then it starts up normally.
Irritiating thing but when its running, its flawless.

I leave it on 24/7 so its not really annoyed me too much.

On the Faulty GPU point, I have tried batter cards, both ATI and nVidia and they all have some issue. But right now, I am using old ATI 7770 cards and its flawless. It could be that the GFX slot is playing up, cos those cards work great in other PCs.

Associate
OP
Curious, just to revive this but did you get to the bottom of it?

I had a similar issue which turned out to be a faulty GPU. Exactly as you describe, wouldn't shut down or restart, swapped out the GPU and all was as it should be.
Oh blimey - I guess we’ll find out at 3070 launch!

Back
Top Bottom