Pcie pins for Power supply and GPU my discord#4721

Associate
Hi, basically I need help with what pci cables I need to power my GPU.

My GPU is a Gigabyte windforce 5700xt which needs a 6pin and 8pin. Psu is a Corsair vengeance 650w silver

What cable do I need for the GPU (one or two separate)

And how many pins do I need for the cable that goes to my psu if it is just one cable (6 pin or 8 pin)

(Side note I’m new with this and have other questions as well, can you get one cable that has a 8pin (6+2 pin ) and one that’s just a 6 pin with the other end going to your psu or do both have to be 8pins if so do you leave 2 pins dangling?)

Can you recommend any cables that are suitable for my graphics card and psu please.

Soldato
(Side note I’m new with this and have other questions as well, can you get one cable that has a 8pin (6+2 pin ) and one that’s just a 6 pin with the other end going to your psu or do both have to be 8pins if so do you leave 2 pins dangling?).

Most Psu just have 6+2 which is fine, as you said just leave 2 dangling if you only need 6.

Soldato
You should have two of those pcie cables shown above, as the box states x4 pcie cable. So two cables with two connectors on each.

Not sure if the 5700XT needs two separate cables like you would with the Vega 56/64 cards. You can try with a single cable, and if you have any issues then switch to using both. Might not be an issue with this particular psu though. Some Seasonic units had issues.

Associate
OP
So my PC has just came but there are two 8 pin connectors that come from the psu (ones that you can’t pull off) are they for my GPU or shall I just leave them there and connect a separate pci cable for my gpu?

Don
So my PC has just came but there are two 8 pin connectors that come from the psu (ones that you can’t pull off) are they for my GPU or shall I just leave them there and connect a separate pci cable for my gpu?

No the two 8-pin that are fixed to the PSU are EPS12V connectors - 1 of which will need to go to your motherboard.

You will need to connect the separate pcie power cable that @Brizzles showed above.

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...ngeance-Series/p/CP-9020175-UK#tab-tech-specs

Associate
OP
No the two 8-pin that are fixed to the PSU are EPS12V connectors - 1 of which will need to go to your motherboard.

You will need to connect the separate pcie power cable that @Brizzles showed above.

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...ngeance-Series/p/CP-9020175-UK#tab-tech-specs
So one of the 8pin will need to go my motherboard? If that is the case I already seem to have a cable connected to my motherboard which is an 8 pin only but there is 4 pins still need connecting?

Don
So one of the 8pin will need to go my motherboard? If that is the case I already seem to have a cable connected to my motherboard which is an 8 pin only but there is 4 pins still need connecting?

What motherboard?

Assuming it has both an 8 pin and 4 pin on the motherboard then those 8-pin connector should split in half (4+4) - use one for required 4 pin.

Associate
OP
What motherboard?

Assuming it has both an 8 pin and 4 pin on the motherboard then those 8-pin connector should split in half (4+4) - use one for required 4 pin.
Asus rog strix f gaming, well there is already one 1 8 pin connected on the top left and that’s it while I have 8 pin spare from the psu

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It
Asus rog strix f gaming, well there is already one 1 8 pin connected on the top left and that’s it while I have 8 pin spare from the psu
It says on the manual that you need either 8 pin or 8+4 pin connected so I don't understand what the cables from the PSU is for

Soldato

If there is already an 8 pin connected to the top left of the motherboard then that that is all you need for there.

For the gpu you want the cable/s that are marked 'pcie'. One end should say 'Type 4' and that plugs into the power supply. The other end which has the 6 + 2 connectors is for the gpu, so you can use it as a 6 pin (2 pins hanging down) or an 8 pin by using the extra 2 pin part.

Associate
OP
If there is already an 8 pin connected to the top left of the motherboard then that that is all you need for there.

For the gpu you want the cable/s that are marked 'pcie'. One end should say 'Type 4' and that plugs into the power supply. The other end which has the 6 + 2 connectors is for the gpu, so you can use it as a 6 pin (2 pins hanging down) or an 8 pin by using the extra 2 pin part.
The thing is i contacted my PC builder and he said it's fine using the cables that comes directly from the PSU now the issue is nothing turns on besides my Asus logo......

Man of Honour
The thing is i contacted my PC builder and he said it's fine using the cables that comes directly from the PSU now the issue is nothing turns on besides my Asus logo......

Check all cables are fitted firmly, they will usually 'click' when in place securely and they only fit one way.

Don't know the mobo in person, but the logo might just indicated power is going to it, and you need to press Start to power up - is the start up button connected correctly ( usually small pins at the bottom of the mobo that connect ot the chassis power button) ?

CPU and cooler installed ?
RAM installed in correct slots ?
HDD connected ( though should post to bios without ) ?

Associate
OP
Check all cables are fitted firmly, they will usually 'click' when in place securely and they only fit one way.

CPU and cooler installed ?
RAM installed in correct slots ?
HDD connected ( though should post to bios without ) ?
Yep everything is connected

Man of Honour
you are looking for these leads coming from the power button area of your case ;

pgrhv6g.jpg

the one marked POWER SW is the one you want.

it connects to the bottom right part of your mobo ( consult your manual for as cleare picture )

1jLUACT.jpg

Back
Top Bottom