PCN - Am I missing something here?

Man of Honour
A brief description of the situation -

Contravention date was 7/4/17, PCN was issued and I paid £65 (50% discount) 3 weeks later on 28/4/17
I have the receipt of payment email from council's online payment portal & bank statement proving payment.
Fast forward to 6/5/18 & I receive a Charge Certificate stating I now owe £130, which is the full PCN cost plus £65 surcharge for the Charge Certificate minus £65 I've already paid, so they acknowledge receipt of payment.
There has been no response to the emails I've sent & it's impossible to talk to anyone at the council about it.
Any idea why this happened?

Man of Honour
OP
28 days, I also paid it as soon as I received it
It was a rented vehicle so came through the hire company first
It wasn't a parking offence as such, it was a prohibition on certain vehicles contravention if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll need to phone up and speak to them, they can ignore emails. If you've no number go through the main council switchboard.

What I would be concerned about it the amount of time between the initial charge and the follow-up of 13 months, are you sure it's from the council and it's not from either a credit agency trying their luck or worse, conmen that have gained access to the system?

Soldato
What I would be concerned about it the amount of time between the initial charge and the follow-up of 13 months, are you sure it's from the council and it's not from either a credit agency trying their luck or worse, conmen that have gained access to the system?

A ‘Credit Agency’ is a company who provides details on you and your financial status to 3rd parties such as lenders who you authorise to view that information. It’s generally payments, liabilities, defaults and judgements/bankruptcy etc. They don’t chase you for anything, that’s what private collection companies or ‘debt collectors’ do.

For the op, call the council or send them a letter with copies of anything relevant that shows your actions, even visit the council if you need to, if you can prove payment fell within the time period for the discounted offer, then you’re set, but deal with it now, ignoring it will just make it more difficult to resolve at a later date.

Soldato
A ‘Credit Agency’ is a company who provides details on you and your financial status to 3rd parties such as lenders who you authorise to view that information. It’s generally payments, liabilities, defaults and judgements/bankruptcy etc. They don’t chase you for anything, that’s what private collection companies or ‘debt collectors’ do.

Yet you still knew exactly what I meant :D you do have to love these forums at times :D bet it got you all excited correcting something on the internet didn't it? don't lie ;)

Soldato
Yet you still knew exactly what I meant :D you do have to love these forums at times :D bet it got you all excited correcting something on the internet didn't it? don't lie ;)

Oh yea, I do it for the 'internetz pointz', i'm saving for a radio!

Where we seem to differ is if I make a mistake, i'd actually welcome someone taking the time to point it out, that way I can learn from it. You seem to resent it, perhaps that says more about you than me? Just a thought ;)

Soldato

Except this is a very bad mistake that deserved correction, without which would confuse people. You likely genuinely believed credit agencies chase debt for example.

You should learn from your mistake.

Back
Top Bottom