PDA & GPS Software (Car and walkabout) recommendations

Associate
I am looking to get a PDA type device that needs to have Wifi and GPS or at least allow a GPS device to be attached. I'm not bothered if it is a mobile phone (must be legally unlocked) or just a PDA.

Also, with this I want some GPS Navigation software that can be used in car and also when out and about walking. So ideally ordanance survey and/or street detail (i.e buildings/churches etc) level (is this available??)

I am a complete newbie when it comes down to this and don't know what I am looking for, so any help and linkies would be very much appreciated.

My budget will be around £300 but of course would love to spend less

Cheers

AB

Soldato
You could grab a second hand HTC Kaiser off an auction site for less than that. Built in GPS chip and you can bung any one of iGO 8, TomTom 7 (for pocket pc), Copilot or even just google maps (this won't give you turn by turn directions, but can be hooked up to the gps).

Very easy to unlock using a service like IMEICheck (or even yourself if you know where to look and what you are doing).

Other nice thing about this device is that it's got a full slide-out QWERTY keyboard and you can bung Opera Mobile on it for browsing the web whilst on the move.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to use an old XDA II with a £30 bluetooth GPS reciever and tomtom navigator. it was a bit clumsy having 2 devices and battery life sucked but it did the job!

I would advise you look for a device that has built in GPS so not only is it less devices to carry but you'll get better battery life without need to have bluetooth on as well.

Back
Top Bottom