Peltiers anyone use them ?

Associate
I started out with a mobile barton and 9800 pro that were both great overclockers that got me hooked. Tried watercooling and it was really good fun cutting up my case and making it all fit, got nice results too.

Had to try phase spent ages making everything real neat and tidy was able to push my kit a bit more, but when i upgraded last time round i got a chip with a cold bug and ran out of cash so went back to water for a while. Recently bought myself a conroe just waiting till the end of the month so i can buy some more bits and it will be reborn.

I did grease the socket and the back of the motherboard that was covered by the phase head back plate with some dialectic grease that was pretty easy and i never had any condensation problems. Theres loads of really good information out there on phase change with a bit of reading up it wasn't half as scary as i thought it would be. Got some good advice from Phil Stanbridge and Marci to name a few, helped me get it all sorted out the first time and cant wait to dig it back out and start playing again.

If your doing it for the fun of modding and tinkering then i highly recommend phase change and water cooling but if your not really into that sort of thing and just want to get the most out of your chip you can do that on air or with water.

Some pics of my old setup

wiring.jpg

plumbing2.jpg

front%20and%20side.jpg

Soldato
So it really is just for short term use, you use it.. get bored, go back to water/air because its more practical and way waaaay less of a pain to fit things.

Btw.. what actually is the sweet spot for hardly any noise + good temps? water?

air = loud and noisy, plus bad temps in summer :(

it seems pretty difficult to keep below 50c and overclock with air.

Soldato
I think we get the point that you don't like Phase now Perfect_Chaos ;) sTill if you want the max over clokc on a 24/7 rig, then phase is the way to go. If you really want the max overclock then LN2 is the way to go. Would be a bit hard to keep a LN2 system running 24/7 though.

Caporegime
OP
My philosophy is don't knock something until you have tried it.

I have decided to give phase a whirl :D

With my extreme edition quad,well it would be rude to not too.

I have done water and like the results,doubt I will ever go back to AIR again.

Phase seems like a challange even if people see it has a pain in the backside.I thought that with water but the satisfaction of pulling it off is enough for me.

Oh and the overclocking etc..

Associate
easyrider said:
My philosophy is don't knock something until you have tried it.

I have decided to give phase a whirl :D

With my extreme edition quad,well it would be rude to not too.

I have done water and like the results,doubt I will ever go back to AIR again.

Phase seems like a challange even if people see it has a pain in the backside.I thought that with water but the satisfaction of pulling it off is enough for me.

Oh and the overclocking etc..

Going for a custom unit then?

Associate
why not run phase 24/7? I do.

and while we're all posting pics

DSCN2530.jpg

DSCN2522.jpg

DSCN2517.jpg

It was great fun getting the second had prommie for £150 and modding the case up. But it does take a bit of effort.

Just looking at changing it to C2D now.

Also, Phase is by no means quiet.

Soldato
Marci said:
Black Ice Extreme with all it's paint removed.

Cheers Marci. Whats the depth like compared to a PA120.1? Im planning on mounting my PA in the same place to cool the GPU and NB and im just wonder how far it will overhange the motherboard.

easyrider said:
Keep the pics coming I'm getting more of an idea of phase setups :)

Ive got loads of pics on my computer at home i'll upload when im finished work.

Soldato
Doubt you would be running -180c without LN2 ;)

I would'nt really go off the temp probs on the Mach's and Vapo's either, its best to get a decent seperate one to measure accurate readings.

Anyways, I better not read this thread anymore its just making me think that phase is the way to go and I should sack the laptop idea and get a desktop unit once again and overclock :D

Back
Top Bottom