Perseid Meteors - anybody seen any yet?

Soldato
Just spent about 10-15 minutes hanging out the bedroom window, looking North and pretty much right up at the sky.. seen quite a few.. there was a great one.. quite bright with a brilliant trail..

Thoroughly impressive, is there any truth behind them getting better at 3am?

Soldato
gord said:
Just spent about 10-15 minutes hanging out the bedroom window, looking North and pretty much right up at the sky.. seen quite a few.. there was a great one.. quite bright with a brilliant trail..

Thoroughly impressive, is there any truth behind them getting better at 3am?

There should be plenty more around that time. It peaks at 3-4am and there will be an average of 1 meteor per minute.:) Not that I will see any at that time. I have work at 6am.

Soldato
Semi cloudy skies here in Belfast, but I got the deck chair out, about 50 mins ago now.

Literally about 5 minutes after settling down, massive streak across the sky. Saw a few more, but none as good as that first one, was really bright.

What speed are these things hitting the atmosphere at?

Soldato
Le_Petit_Lapin said:
Semi cloudy skies here in Belfast, but I got the deck chair out, about 50 mins ago now.

Literally about 5 minutes after settling down, massive streak across the sky. Saw a few more, but none as good as that first one, was really bright.

What speed are these things hitting the atmosphere at?

I recall seeing 130,000MPH on the msn uk website so its safe to say its quick :p Ive seen quite a few now but way to quick to capture.

Soldato
Just been hanging out of my bedroom window in my dressing gown :D Seen 2, the second one had a very bright entry, quite happy I've seen something actually as there's a LOT of light pollution where I am.

Going to be up a while longer yet so hopefully I'll see more later on.

Soldato
managed to see one after waiting outside a few minutes, its amazing how fast they disappear, one second theres a bright streak of light, the next second(literally) its gone with no trace

Soldato
Just took in a second dose, gonna need more warmth and food for a third tho.. pringles and a dressing gown should do it!

Saw some really good ones just then.

Man of Honour
My 3.5 yr old daughter saw this on the news and has been waiting all night to see them. When I saw a couple fly past I woke her up, wrapped her in my jacket, and sat in the garden gazing upwards. We saw quite a few. A lovey father/daughter moment :)

Quite clear here in Surrey.

Soldato
Well.. dont watch the sky with pringles.. it may taste good.. but there wont be any meteors.. my third dose failed.. maybe they dont like sour cream and onion flavour! Think i will hit the hay.

Man of Honour
gord said:
Well.. dont watch the sky with pringles.. it may taste good.. but there wont be any meteors.. my third dose failed.. maybe they dont like sour cream and onion flavour! Think i will hit the hay.

A 15 year old malt whisky here. Hits the spot for meteor watching :)

Associate
Saw about 8 small ones and 3 large ones :)

Crystal clear skies up at Devils Dyke, shame the whole of Sussex had to go up there with some nobs pulling into the car parks with full beams on!

Gave up after a while due to having to re-adjust my night vision each time a car pulled in.

Soldato
Just posted this in the other thread....

Ive just got back home, went to Eynsford (The only place near here remote enough that light pollution doesn't spoil things) with a couple of mates and stood in a field watching for meteors...saw a couple of good ones shooting across, although they weren't occurring as often as I thought....still, I did see a massive one low down that actually looked like a fireball....for a moment we thought it was a plane going down, but it happened so quickly.

Edit: Also saw a couple of satellites while we were out there. Good stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom