1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petrol theft?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by OllyM, 31 May 2006.

1. OllyM

Soldato

Is it common nowadays, especially from Range Rovers? The tank is exposed, so I guess it's fairly easy to do if you know what you're doing...

It seems like somebody's emptied the tank of ours, as I can't see a leak anywhere, and there's certainly not enough petrol on the floor.. the gauge reads totally empty, and there was about half a tank in there yesterday.

[​IMG]

Or is there another explanation for that?!

2. Rotty

Don

it's a Range Rover , maybe you drove it 600 yards :D ;)

3. timbob

Mobster

Does look fairly suspicious to me. Small line of spillage from a hose is quite evident trailing off towards the bottom of the picture.

I've not heard of anything like this before though...I expect most cars don't have this problem, but like you say - if the petrol tank is exposed...

Bloomin' ******!

4. iCraig

PermaBanned

Looks like they siphoned it out, and made a bit of a mess.

5. siztenboots

Wise Guy

Have they punctured into the tank and then drained it , or just taken it from a fuel line ?

6. OllyM

Soldato

I really don't know.. it's hard to tell at the moment, and because it's parked on the road it's not easy to get a proper look.

I can't see or smell petrol strongly around the tank, and there are no drips at all.

7. siztenboots

Wise Guy

P'raps they plugged the hole and will be back later for a refill.

8. ShakenNstirred

Sgarrista

my sister had her Astra done a few months ago.
    with the price of petrol getting higher this sort of thing will be on the up

9. Nathan

Mobster

I can see it happening. Tbh I cant see why their has not been any hijacking of petrol tankers yet? They will be carrying a lot of money considering the price of fuel, perhaps a black market for petrol in the future?

10. siztenboots

Wise Guy

The only figures I could find were road tankers approx 7300 gallons, so £1 a litre would be £4.54 a gallon, and a tanker worth £33000

Last edited: 31 May 2006
  11. Phantom

Sgarrista

are you sure whats on the ground is petrol and not dog wee wee? smell it and see...

if you had had someone syphon it off surely you wouldnt get spillage from behind the car. is it possible you have a dodge fuel guage? even when totally empty the needle will come off its mark and never read 0 unless it was broken.

12. OllyM

Soldato

It's petrol... it smells of petrol, at least :p

The tank is empty, I'm sure.. it'd be a huge coincidence if the fuel gauge broke overnight. The light is on too.

13. Jonny69

Man of Honour

It happens a lot around here apparently. The little sods stab the bottom of the tank with a screwdriver and run your petrol into someting else. Check it for holes before you fill it again.

14. merlin

Capodecina

Plastic tanks ***.

15. Sagalout

Soldato

I can just imagine it now.....mad max scenes throughout middle england as petrol edges over the £1 a litre mark

16. Nazbit

Mobster

It was on the news the other day that a single tanker of petrol (shell were the example), retails on the forecourt for £40,000

That picture in the OP does look suspect to be honest.

So yer, I think the way we are going this kind of stuff is going to become a hell of a lot more common.

17. merlin

Capodecina

We'll all have to respray our cars in satin black and eat dog food.

penski WILL be happy.

18. Mr_Sukebe

Man of Honour

A few years ago I was working for a large retailer who had a whole container full of wine stolen.
    The only good news was that it was Liefraumilch. That probably had a retail value of around £50k, but god help the poor suckers who had to drink that dirge.

19. Rich1988

Soldato

I have never thought about taking petrol before, but surely its an easy way to make/save a load of money, never happened round here.

20. Meridian

Man of Honour

It's not common, but it does happen. The usual way is to just cut the fuel line and let it drain out.

M