Peugeot 3008 SUV, timing issue

Soldato
Hi all,
So, had my pug 3008 SUV GT 3 years. Warranty ran out in July :(.
Yesterday after driving about a mile I lost power, the red battery light came on.
Recovery services suspected alternator, but the tech who my car to the local garage on the back of his lorry (with me still in it) didn’t think so.
A quick look over by a Peugeot tech reveals “timing jump”(?). But I was advised to contact Peugeot before they dismantled the car as it’s only just out of warranty.
Contacted a local dealership; I have to get the car towed to them, pay £89 for diagnostics and also show my FSH including invoices detailing all parts, including brand and type of oil etc.
Once the service manager is satisfied he’ll contact “Peugeot goodwill” scheme to see if they will accept giving me a discount for the work to be done.

I’m pretty gutted. This is the first issue I’ve had since owning it from new in July 2017, done only 33k miles and was given no warning signs about this impending problem. I pulled over immediately when I started losing power (had no choice anyway).

been told if it’s damaged any piston then it’ll cost over £1200. :mad:

Anyone had similar? Got any advice for me?

would appreciate helpful info and NOT “pugs are crap, don’t trust the french” blah blah.

thanks.

Soldato
maybe timing belt diapidation, which seems to be a known problem, so they should fix gratis
https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/timing-belt-crumbles-causing-clogged-oil-system.333046/page-9

interesting that they have a timing belt that runs in oil !

Yes this is a common issue.

OP if this is the case then you can only hope for goodwill. I hope the dealership is helpful!

Timing belt running in oil is becoming more common now. Less rotating mass than a chain & less friction than a dry belt, it all comes down to emissions in the end.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all,
The recovery guy (who is obviously a mechanic) and the service station both said that the only time they 3008’s in the garage is for cosmetic damage as they rarely breakdown. It’s certainly the first issue I’ve had, it’s been a brilliant car.

yeah, I just have to hope that Peugeot goodwill will offer to help. Otherwise I’m in the doo do!

Soldato
OP
A 3rd party company offered a warranty extension at £400. I turned it down quite simply because I’d not had a single issue with the car in 3 years.
Yes, I regret it now......but how typical, within 3 months of the warranty expiring I get just about the worst problem you could get!

Associate
Ah that's crappy! Do Peugeot not offer a continuation of the standard manufacturer warranty? Bit weird.

Has it gone back to them yet for diagnosis?
Once you have a specific idea of what the issue is you can always ring around for a price at other garages and go back to them with that cost and try and get more money off, especially if the goodwill gesture still brings it nowhere near a reasonable price!
Hopefully it is the thing listed above as a known issue, i'd try argue it was if it's even slightly related.

Soldato
OP
I was offered the warranty extension but declined.
So, the garage rang me earlier, the guy has a mate who works for Peugeot as a parts manager. He said timing belt/chain issues are almost non-existent on my model of the 3008. He was going to enquire on my behalf about the Peugeot Goodwill.
They can’t look at it again until at least Tuesday due to workloads.
To get to a Peugeot dealer would cost to tow it there 12 miles, then £89 to diagnose before they can go to Peugeot Goodwill. Cap in hand.

I’m gutted!

Associate
You said a third party offered the warranty extension, not Peugeot, that's what I was questioning!
Yeah i can imagine you are, hopefully it ends up being sorted for not much money!
I'd say that it would be surprising if they offer a goodwill without having their techs do the investigation vs another garage!

Soldato
OP
Sorry, yes it was a (finance) company on behalf of Peugeot offering the extended warranty.
I’ll hopefully know more next week when they’ve stripped it down.
If I then want to pursue the goodwill path then it will cost me to get it to a dealership, and cost me for the time the current garage has spent on it.
FML.....right now!

Soldato
OP
So.....it’s been towed to the nearest pug dealership which cost me £80.They’ve just rang me and said that my garage that dit was originally towed to it before had dismantled it much more than they would have liked so they are going to charge me 5 hours labour to put it back together then strip it again and diagnose.
The kicker is their hourly rate. £109 + vat ???.
Seriously?! Who gets away with that kind of price nowadays.
They’ve well and truly got me by the short and curlies I think, because they know I can’t go anywhere else.
Feel so angry!

Soldato
OP
They’re going to put it back together only to strip it down again? Why?! In what universe does that make any logical sense?
I couldn’t even begin to answer you mate! He tried to tell me how highly trained their technicians are blah blah......yet they’ll no doubt Chuck some apprentice greased monkey on it.
They’re now part of the PSA group yet our local Vauxhall dealership charge £55 ph (iirc).

Soldato
OP
Hmm, worth chatting to the first garage to see if they would assist you financially? Did you approve them stripping down a bit of the car?
First garage (local and known to me) didn’t charge for their work. When it got to the point where they thought it would cost over £3k due to potentially bent rods then they said “take it to Peugeot, see if their goodwill scheme will help”.
They left it half stripped because they thought it would assist Peugeot. Peugeot reckon it’s hindered them.

Back
Top Bottom