pfsense experts?

Permabanned
OK I'm hoping I can do this.

I have a N56u and I'm on virgin, super hub in modem mode.

What I want to do is have a pfsense VM connected to the SH and all my net traffic routed through that.

I want to take my Asus and have that as an AP to connect wireless clients to the net work and be routed through the pfsense VM.

Is this possible?

Soldato
pfSense with 3 interfaces - WAN, LAN and Opt1.

Plug Superhub into the WAN interface, your LAN into the LAN interface and the ASUS' lan interface into the OPT1 interface after disabling DHCP server first. Then bridge LAN and OPT1 in pfSense. Now NAT between the WAN and LAN/OPT1 and setup DHCP server on the LAN interface.

Should take about 5 mins to setup.

Soldato
You don't NEED an OPT interface.

Just extend the LAN wireless via a switch with the Wireless AP.

If you want to manage Wireless clients independently you will need an OPT interface though.

pfSense will work in a VM, it's not the most ideal solution though. Dedicated hardware is far better.

Soldato
You don't NEED an OPT interface.

Just extend the LAN wireless via a switch with the Wireless AP.

LOLLOLOL. The funniest thing about this is that this is how I actually do it! Oh well. I blame it on a long day at work :D

As for the hardware vs VM, it depends on your throughput. I was able to shunt 100Mb Virgin cable through a VM under HyperV doing straight NAT and routing without it breaking a sweat. If it's just for home use and you have spare VM capacity....why not.

Caporegime
Hosting pfSense in something like ESXi and sorting your VLANs out there is much easier than trying to do it in pfSense itself.

Permabanned
I do a similar set up with my pfsense but its physical, but it should not make any difference as long as you have a physical nic dedicated to each vmnic and its not some sort of virtual nic in windows, ie if you using workstation for example.

you need to put the virigin moden/router in to bridge mode. then connect that to the wan port. Then setup pfsense with the right settings on the wan interface. Been a long time since i did virgin config, should be able to get taht from google search.

for lan interface you shouldn't need to do a thing. apart from specify it as the lan int on installation, which will automatically setup a dhcp server etc.

For opt1 interface you will have to add the interface on the interface section, then activate it, i always rename it to wifi to make it easier, set static ip, then go to dhcp server section and enable dhcp server on it.

Then you will need to add an allow all rule to the wifi interface. If you go to the lan interface and copy the allow all rule that is auto created there by duplicated the same settings on the wifi interface. Then turn off dhcp on wifi router and plug it in to the opt1 interface. using this config i can even access my lan subnet from my wifi. As well as internet from both subnets etc.

To do that with two nics, you could as someone said use the router. ie where it would normally go to lan and your pc. Just plug a wifi router in there and then plug your pc in to the wifi router. Never tried that though but i don't see why it wouldn't work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom