Phanteks Evolv ATX, Water or Air?

Associate
Hi everyone,

I've just ordered the 8700K for a new system and wanted some advice taming the chip which is meant to run pretty hot. I have the Phanteks Evolv ATX which received excellent reviews and looks stunning. However, the analysis didn't outline the case's poor airflow leading to higher thermals. In hindsight, it's going to happen because of the closed aluminium panels.

Ideally, I'd like to keep the case and require hints of which cooling path will be optimal. Should I opt for a Noctua NH-D15S air cooler, or mount an AIO. Been reading the AIO up top is a bad idea as the air just circulates around the remoavable mounting bracket.

Please note, I've installed the original 3x140mm Phanteks fans. One at the back and two in the front.

Associate
My gaming temps on a 8700k at 5Ghz with the Phanteks Evolv ATX never exceeds 55C core temps (Kraken x62)

Final fantasy 15, Destiny 2, Siege + Ultra HD textures for 1 hour + are the only gaming that make my cpu temps reach 55C or so. My RAD is on top, I have corsair ML fans in all other areas. It's not as bad as how people make out imo, I've not modded the case in anyway yet

Soldato
I've got the Corsair H115i Pro mounted at the front of the mATX Evolv and temps on my 8700K and GTX 1060 stay very comfortable. I've just got one fan on the back, haven't bothered putting the other Phanteks fan on the top as it doesn't seem to need it.

Associate
OP
Ideally looking for decent cooling to reach 5GHz on the 8700K. Was just a bit concerned after reading the comments about poor airflow, and people resorting to modding for this case. Would you recommend I stick with it and try some cooling options? The system is only for gaming, not heavy workloads like rendering.

Soldato
My recommentation is use a top tier air cooler.
What cooler do you now have?
NH-D15S is a good cooler, but there are others costing less that are as good.
What cooler to get depends on motherboard CPU to PCIe socket clearance and possibly RAM height.

Evolv ATX front airflow is fine but the top is restricted. Evolv ATX works well for air cooling but with radiator needing to be mounted in front unless everything is water cooled all air cooled components will end up using the pre-heated air coming from radiator ..

Associate
OP
Hi! Thanks for the reply. I currently have an NH-D15S with an extra fan if needed. Using the ASRock Z370 Gaming K6 which shouldn't pose an issue and Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4. Yeah the top looks extremely questionable for radiators. I'd like to keep the case but can purchase something like the Fractal Design Meshify C if needed. Would you recommend keeping two 140mm fans in the front another at the rear, and maybe covering the radiator brackets holes to improve airflow?

Soldato
Just remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU. This way the bottom front intake can flow air around/into GPU and out push it on back and out of case. That is how I have mine setup. ;)

I'm thinking of modding bottom with a 140mm in front of PSU for even better airflow to GPU. My GPU has 3x 90mm Arctic F9 fans on it instead of stock thin fans so is very quiet, but 3x 90mm fans use up to 140cfm .. which is about what 2x 140mm intakes supply at full speed so no airflow left for CPU cooler. Adding 3rd 140mm in bottom would give case a little more airflow than components might need, and I always want at least a little more case airflow than components use so I'm sure components get cool air.
Here is link to tutorial for case airflow:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Associate
OP
Just remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU. This way the bottom front intake can flow air around/into GPU and out push it on back and out of case. That is how I have mine setup. ;)

I'm thinking of modding bottom with a 140mm in front of PSU for even better airflow to GPU. My GPU has 3x 90mm Arctic F9 fans on it instead of stock thin fans so is very quiet, but 3x 90mm fans use up to 140cfm .. which is about what 2x 140mm intakes supply at full speed so no airflow left for CPU cooler. Adding 3rd 140mm in bottom would give case a little more airflow than components might need, and I always want at least a little more case airflow than components use so I'm sure components get cool air.
Here is link to tutorial for case airflow:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Oh, nice idea on the PCI-E slot covers. Will certainly do that before building the new system :)

Soldato
Ideally looking for decent cooling to reach 5GHz on the 8700K. Was just a bit concerned after reading the comments about poor airflow, and people resorting to modding for this case. Would you recommend I stick with it and try some cooling options? The system is only for gaming, not heavy workloads like rendering.

I'm not overclocking so I can't comment on OC'd temps, but I've had no concerns with my setup. To me the obvious answer is to keep what you have and try it with the new CPU, and if you're not satisfied look at changes from there. Until then it's just guesswork!

Associate
I have this case, coming from a Coolmaster HAF 922 full tower, which had great airflow.

After spacing the front panel front so it is flush with the tempered glass using washers from a hardware store, blocking off any open areas around the 3x120mm fans at the top panel with eletrical tape, I have identical temperatures to my old airflow case.

I may remove the filters in the top panel, once I eventually watercool end of the year and see if that makes a difference.

Soldato
I have this case, coming from a Coolmaster HAF 922 full tower, which had great airflow.

After spacing the front panel front so it is flush with the tempered glass using washers from a hardware store, blocking off any open areas around the 3x120mm fans at the top panel with eletrical tape, I have identical temperatures to my old airflow case.

I may remove the filters in the top panel, once I eventually watercool end of the year and see if that makes a difference.
If you feel like experimenting a little it would be interesting to know what temps would with front in stock position. Also what they would be if front is not installed and if top is unclipped and just set on top so there is a gap all around the case. Not a big deal, I know what I found doing these tests on unwindowed Evolv ATX and am curious what others get when doing the same. ;)

Associate
If you feel like experimenting a little it would be interesting to know what temps would with front in stock position. Also what they would be if front is not installed and if top is unclipped and just set on top so there is a gap all around the case. Not a big deal, I know what I found doing these tests on unwindowed Evolv ATX and am curious what others get when doing the same. ;)

I picked up a h115i for £30 off a few days ago and I am going to front mount it.

I will run some tests and hopefully remember to post my findings.

Soldato
Have had zero issues with AIO (X62) in my Evolv Tg. Radiator mounted up top, CPU temps have never breached 60c.
Probably because yo are not generating much heat so don't need much airflow out the top. The Evolv ATX has very little top vent area .. definitely not enough for 2x 120mm fans or more worth of airflow at much rpm.

What is your system?
Have you ran any stress testing?
Did you block all opening in radiator mounting plate except where radiator is? If you did not then it is circulating the air going through radiator back to intake side of radiator. ;)

Associate
What is your system?
Have you ran any stress testing?
Did you block all opening in radiator mounting plate except where radiator is? If you did not then it is circulating the air going through radiator back to intake side of radiator. ;)
I have a 280mm rad top mounted with 6900K @ 1.32v (so kicking off quite a bit of heat). I have blocked off the openings not covered by the rad and it works ok. Obviously not as good as if the top were mesh (mods are available to do that though). I think the last test I did I ran the full realbench benchmark and hit something like 66c with fans at 1200rpm (normally I run them at about 1000 rpm because that works fine if not stress testing or doing 3d rendering)

Soldato
I have a 280mm rad top mounted with 6900K @ 1.32v (so kicking off quite a bit of heat). I have blocked off the openings not covered by the rad and it works ok. Obviously not as good as if the top were mesh (mods are available to do that though). I think the last test I did I ran the full realbench benchmark and hit something like 66c with fans at 1200rpm (normally I run them at about 1000 rpm because that works fine if not stress testing or doing 3d rendering)
Couple of easy does are"
Remove top (2x screws each end and unclips) and remove the self-adhesive mesh pieces over the small vents. This about triples airflow area.
Other thing is set top on without clipping it down and gain a 4-5mm vent gap all the way around the top. Only problem is have to clip it back on before pushing start/stop button.

I was tempted to make some sort of extension bracket to raise top mounting hardware and stop/start button so top could be attached with gap and stop/start would work, but as I'm air cooled I don't need top venting.

Associate
I increased the air gap at the front of the case slightly by putting motherboard standoffs under where the brackets attach to the front panel (it just about still attaches at the top, bottom is no problem). If they sold the flow edition panels separately I think they would sell a lot of them!

Soldato
Yeah, I think they would sell, but I don't like them. I'm more into consistent geometric designs.
More like these, but would be even nicer if holes were about half the size they are here .. about the size of Flow Edition holes.
0*wnGnFapQxTGtSGQW.
0*Met6Vp9-EcsyKv0z.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom