Philips fidelio x2 sound leak

Associate
Hi,

I have recently built my first gaming PC and am loving it. I have just been playing with some on ear JBL headphones and am looking to upgrade my sound. I have looked at many options and think that some high end studio kind of headphones are the way to go. I think the philips fidelio x2 suit what i am looking for very well and so think i will get those and either a antlion mod mic 5 or a neewer nw-700 for my microphone. Just wanted to know if the sound leak from the headset would be load enough for my team to hear an echo going back through my mic?

Thanks.

Matthew

Soldato
You'll be damaging your hearing in hours before sound leak to microphone becomes problem.
Sound of mouse buttons is bigger noise source, same with normal rubber dome keyboard, while mechanical keyboard is magnitude bigger.

But which type sound you want:
Neutral bass and best details, as in always easy to distinguish foot steps and such?
Or "fun" above neutral punching more present bass at expense of foot steps etc not being as easy to distinguish from simultaneous lower frequency sounds?

For first type AKG K701/702 (fixed/detachable cable) are among top headphones for gaming.
Binaural sound stage is very big and bass always takes back seat to details.
But unlike in some ATH-AD700 bass is there if you listen for it and actually goes quite low for open headphones.
If Creative still offered old bass killing CMSS-3D in sound cards combined to that those would be literal "aural god mode/wall hack".
And compared to many gaming garbage trinkets don't even cost more. (little over £110)

For second type sound there are actually multiple choises.
K712 is AKG's vision of fun bass.
Sound stage is pretty much same as in those abovementioned models, stronger bass just makes details little harder to distinguish from under it.
Price seems to have come now even below Fidelio X2.
Beyerdynamic DT990 and Philips Fidelio are pretty similar to each others with step smaller binaural sound stage than AKGs.
Bass immersion/"fun factor" of DT990 is little higher than in K712, but in details it's other way.
DT990 Pro Black Limited Edition comes at little over £110.
Unlike standard DT990 Pro it has straight cable, but head band has some more clamping force than ~£150 Edition/Premium.
(spring steel head band so doesn't mind if bend little looser)

As for fit Beyerdynamic's head band has very good manual adjustment range.
Automatic adjustment of AKG might get stretched some by bigger head and also smaller especially downward narrowing head shape might cause cups to try to crawl down.
Not sure how well Fidelio's apparently automatically adjusting head band works.

If you want to minimize number of wires detachable cable AKGs could take V-Moda BoomPro mic using adapter found with these search words:
BGS 3 Pin Mini XLR Female to 3.5mm Female Stereo Headphone Jack Adapter with AKG Wiring

Associate
OP
Thanks for the response. I think i would rather a more 'fun' sound as i'm not a pro gamer by any means and would also use the headphones to listen to music and so don't think i would enjoy the flat sound of the K702's. I really like the way the fidelio's look which is i think what originally drew me to them. Sadly i can't seem to find them in any tech stores to try out and i've heard they are now not being made any more.

Soldato
Have heard that Philips has some interruptions in manufacturing between different batches with possibly also quality variations.
That could also show in availability of ear pads, which are wearing parts.
Beyer's DT990 is again in mature 30 year age, so it's well finalized design and availability of replacement ear pads will be good.

Feel of sound is also affected by your existing headphones aka what you've gotten used to listening and I highly suspect those being with with very strong fashion bass.
AKG K712 beats DT990 in details and in bigger sound stage, without really losing much in bass "presence", so would be my recommendation for best all around balance if that automatic adjustment head band works for you.
And best price in UK seems to be even cheaper than Fidelio X2.

Myself own half dozen years old DT990 Beyer and late last year bought AKG K702 (second hand) and K712.
(also taped to one piece old HD595 Sennheiser + 30€ experiment Superlux HD330)

Associate
OP
Feel of sound is also affected by your existing headphones
I'm currently just using some JBL E-45BT's.
And best price in UK seems to be even cheaper than Fidelio X2.
Not from what i can see, 712's seem to sell used for around £130-£150, around the same as x2. Much prefer the look of the x2's. I don't need the best of the best, will the X2's get the job done? Or are they just really that bad?

Associate
OP
On a thread on Linus tech tips forums somebody was asking 'Anyone with experience with either of AKG K712 Pro, Philips Fidelio X2, HiFiMAN HE-500, Sennheiser HD 650 or AKG K7XX massdrop?' Later on in the thread Faceman said '
For strictly gaming, I have heard that the AKGs are legendary for their situational awareness. i.e. being able to pinpoint people on the map based on sound alone.
The Phillips X2 is also supposed to be good in that regard, just not as good. It is also supposedly better for music, but that comes down to personal preference. The Phillips are also very easy to drive, and don't need an AMP, whereas the AKGs will likely need an amp. The AKGs are the absolute best for gaming though from what I remember.'

I would like them to be all around good so think X2's win there. Is it true that the AKG's are harder to drive? I just want something i can plug and play straight away and not have to worry about an amp, and if i want to improve sound quality i can add an AMP or DAC later down the line but don't want to have to buy one straight off the bat.

Soldato
I'm currently just using some JBL E-45BT's.

Not from what i can see, 712's seem to sell used for around £130-£150, around the same as x2. Much prefer the look of the x2's. I don't need the best of the best, will the X2's get the job done? Or are they just really that bad?
Can't find actual frequency response charts for those JBLs, but they're fashion model so likely have strong bass.
No Fidelios in this site, but this comparison shows well bass differences of cans I have:
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.p...e=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

Didn't check prices of used stuff, just that rainforest place has new K712 at £167.

For ease of driving it's weaker output mobile devices which could certainly have some problems.
But standard integrated Realtek drives 250 ohm Beyers past hearing safe volume.
(that test with ALC892 equipped basic mobo was actually my first time of using integrated sound card and expectation bias of bad sound/interference got trounced)
AKGs are roughly same, needing less voltage because of lower impedance, but drawing higher current for similar electric power per dB.
Anyway Xperia Z3 Compact drives both well.
You just couldn't get to badly hearing dangerous SPLs.
If you want I could check tomorrow how that ALC892 drives K712.

It's high dynamic range recordings/signal with low average signal level with lot higher moments/transients that could cause problems.
Games just avoid that:
I mean it would be annoying if with gunshots/explosions at comfortable level you wouldn't hear much anything else, while adjusted for other sounds explosions/gunfire would make your ears ring.
I certainly prefer "unrealistic" compressed dynamics for more balanced sound... :p

Because of very low impedance Fidelios don't need much voltage, so they would work well with that single AA(A) battery operating device.
Impedance seems to have 30% bump at resonant frequency of driver:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX2.pdf
So they would prefer minimal output impedance to avoid boosting bass, just like for keeping electric damping factor good.

Damping factor is measure of how tightly driver can be controlled by signal (source) with low damping damping factor meaning driver might not follow signal that accurately.
In that low impedance cans are actually more demanding than higher impedance cans.
Not to mention high sensitity low impedance cans being lot better for hearing most background noise/interference of integrated sound card.

and if i want to improve sound quality i can add an AMP or DAC later down the line but don't want to have to buy one straight off the bat.
For gaming/movies "DACs" don't have anything over sound cards with more functionality... Including built in D/A converter alias DAC:
Because neither headphones or your ears would understand ones and zeroes aka voltage on/voltage off.

And if game has good sound engine, binaural simulation with good headphones gives very nice feel of distances.
Settings aren't best, but first minute of this should give good sense of different distances of gun shots besides direction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_20T8x_OI
It's not that Beyer/Fidelio level is bad, but AKG simply shines in that binaural sound stage size and distance separation.

While with bad closed headphones immersion is around "head in bucket under water" level...
Though again standard stereo speaker mix makes even best headphones give "sound inside one ear/sound in center of head" immersion.
Headphones simply can't create spatial cues needed by brain for "3D sound", while bad cans can't reproduce those cues of binaural sound.

Associate
I use Fidelio X2HRs connected to my AE-5 sound card. They're great headphones, not too 'flat', very detailed, great open soundstage, and easy to drive - I highly recommend them for all indoor purposes.

I use a modmic v4 and nobody has ever complained about sound leaking. The modmic really only picks up what I'm saying when it's right next to my mouth - on occasions where I have flicked it 'up' out the way to the next stage on the magnet and forgotten, people can't hear me and so I have to click it back down to my mouth. So you'll be all good.

Back
Top Bottom