Phone for <£500

Associate
So currently I'm looking at:

Samsung S8
OnePlus 5T
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2
Asus Zenfone 5 (When it comes out)

I was also looking at the Huawei Honor View 10 but I believe the processor isn't as good as the ones in the phones mentioned above.

I'm struggling choosing between the top 4, does anyone want to help?

Cheers,
Daniel

Soldato
I bought the s8 and sent it back. Finally decided on the 5T and have to say, other than the average camera it's absolutely brilliant.

What annoyed me with the s8 was:

Curved screen annoyed me when typing on the keyboard and it's actually quite a small phone
Bloat!!! The software experience was the most annoying. Samsung seems to duplicate what google do......google calendar+samsung calendar....google assistant+bixby, you get the idea. Hell, even the damn wallpaper picker annoyed me when it kept trying to sell me themes for 99p and everything I clicked on wanted to do an update!

Soldato
The Honor v10 is actually excellent.

It depends what sort of Android you want. Both the Xiaomi and Asus have heave skins on their version of Android. OnePlus 5T has close to stock and Oxygen OS is probably the best version of Android that I've used.

Nokia 7+ as mentioned above looks like a great phone and may well be my next phone. The processor isn't top of the line but it's comparable to the Snapdragon 820 from a couple of years ago.

Soldato
I went from an S8 to a Pixel 2 XL mainly due to Samsung's poor update turnaround and the camera, I'm not a pixel peeper so the screen comments aren't a worry to me, more about the camera which is amazing!

Soldato
I echo what’s been said.

Sold my Oneplus 3T (probably the best phone ever owned) with the intention of getting a 5T. Bought an S8 in the interim.

I have been quite pleased but after you get bored of the stylish design, the screen is just a gimmick, anything more than 1080 is a waste most of the time, Samsung bloat sucks, Bixby is heinous.

The camera is fantastic though. I’ve been very impressed.

Buying right now I’d go for 5T, well I wouldn’t actually...waiting for whatever I expect them to announce this month :)

Back
Top Bottom