Photography Course

Associate
Hi all,

I'm just looking for some advice on doing a photography course in the London area in the next year. I'm going to be taking a gap year and would really like to do a course that runs once a week for 6 months or so, and that has some substance to it.

There seem to be a lot out there, but they all seem to be quite short. Does anybody know of any good ones, or particular companies that would be best to work with? It doesn't have to be in the London area, although I'd prefer it. Greater London is ok, and it would even be possible to do the opposite and do a course in Birmingham if recommended!

I know skill level makes quite a difference and I do not really want a basic course - although I am by no means an experienced photographer! I just really want to progress and find out if this is something I would like to take further during uni.

Any advice is appreciated. :)

Soldato
I've probably learnt more about photography in 1-2months talking to semi pro/pro togs on IRC/forums, than i could probably learn on a 6 month college course.

Oh, and also, without sounding to cliché, getting out and using your camera is an excellent way of learning photography. Its easy to read about how a camera works, but making it work correctly in the right situation needs practice. Basically, if you learn how a camera works, technically you will be able to take very good photos. The composition side is down to how artistic you are. Read up via the internet on:

1. Aperture *
2. Shutter Speed
3. F/stops *
4. Exposure
5. Metering
6. Bracketing

Associate
OP
Hiya,

I've been interested in photography for years, and have been doing everything you've said for the last year or so now. I've really enjoyed it, and while I still have masses to learn, I have done the basics. I guess I should really post some photographs to show where I'm at.

What I'm looking for is a course that would then take me onto the next step, involving projects and such. But I do want it to be a worth while and reputable course.

Last edited:
Soldato
Alu_ATC said:
Hiya,

I've been interested in photography for years, and have been doing everything you've said for the last year or so now. I've really enjoyed it, and while I still have masses to learn, I have done the basics. I guess I should really post some photographs to show where I'm at.

What I'm looking for is a course that would then take me onto the next step, involving projects and such. But I do want it to be a worth while and reputable course.

A City and Guilds course might be what you are looking for. Lots of adult ed colleges have cut these to a 1 aademic year course.

They are a lot of work though, and not to be underestimated. You will likely use lots of traditional media too (unless you have a well equipped local adult ed facility).

I did an OCNW qualifiaction last year, and though it as B+W and in traditional media, I relly enjoyed it. (can't honestly say I learned a massive amount, but I have been playing this game a few years). My next steps are to look at the RPS certifications in a month or two

Back
Top Bottom