Photography Gurus .....

Man of Honour
My 11year old, soon to be 12, wants to try his hand at photography. Absolute starter and no previous knowledge.

Any tips on where to start with gear needed would be appreciated. Clearly I don't want to pay daft bucks as he might not stick with it.

What say boffins ?

Soldato
Does he or will he soon have a smartphone? 90% of the enjoyment of photography for me has nothing to do with the kit, and it certainly wasn't at that age.
I disagree. Pointing and clicking a smartphone will teach him none of the skills that using a 'manual' camera can (I use that term loosely). Plus, let's face it kids love gadgets, and a proper camera is a type of gadget to mess around with and will hold his interest. Rather than extolling the virtues of the rule of thirds, golden hours, exposing to the left etc. ad infinitum :p

Associate
Something like a older DSLR would cover all the bases of core photography principles very well and not be stupidly expensive.

For example an old canon 30d and a basic kits lens (18-55mm iirc) or nifty fifty would let your kid learn all the aspects of photography (aperture, shutter, iso, RAW, etc, ) and yet take decent pictures. I look back at my early pics and there are plenty there that are waaay better than current smartphones efforts.

You may be able to get a set like hat and remain in double figures price wise if your canny. An eBay search shows plenty of them

All that said , the best camera is the one you have with you at the time. You need to make the ffort to carry an slr etc as well otherwise you'll just not get any photos. !

Back
Top Bottom