Photoshop CS and Elements and hi-res screens

Associate
Thought this might be useful for people looking at hi-res laptops

A lot more laptops are turning up with 17.3" screens and 1920x1080 resolution. I thought it was worth pointing out that higher resolutions can give problems with Photoshop Elements menu area and tools palette.
These are not configurable for font size/button size. This also applies to some aspects of full Photoshop.
Quote from http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#The_Organizers_Menu_Bar_doesnt_show "Microsoft user-interface standards require applications to support text sizes larger than 100%. This is important with the newer, high-resolution displays and for people with ageing eyes. Adobe has chosen not to follow the standard."
Consequently many items are displayed by pixel-count. An upper case letter in the top menu is based on an 8x5 pixel grid plus some shading. I've done some calculations for various screen sizes and resolutions; here are some results:
17.3" screen, 1600x900, 5 px = .05" or 1.2mm
With 1920x1080:
17.3" screen, 1920x1080, 5 px = .04" or 1.0mm
Changing the 'text size dpi' in Windows 7, Screen Resolution, "Make text and other things larger or smaller" has no effect as this assumes the M'soft standard.
Changing the screen resolution away from the recommended settings works, but the quality of everything on the screen deteriorates. I'm running a 20" 16x10 display at 1680x1050 and this is just acceptable at 5px = .05"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom