1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physics in Consoles

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by Geffen, 14 Aug 2006.

1. Geffen

Wise Guy

There been quite a lot of discussion about Physics engines for the PC enviorment recently but i haven't heard much about it for consoles. So do you know if there are any plans to improve the physic engines in Console games, as after down loading the trailler for Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 it seems that consoles deperatly need to work on Physics. There were bits bouncing and floating all over the place with no sence of realism.

2. Manlove is my forte

Sgarrista

Off the top of my head, with out doing much research. THe PS3 Cell architecture is basically a number crunching super beast. Great for physics if implemented properly.

The 360 has the ability to portion parts of the GPU to Physics tasks. As it happens the architecture of GPUs is great for phyisics computations.

3. oweneades

Sgarrista

In theory game developers could use one of the Xenons cores to do physics and still have the other two for the rest of the game. How easy / practical this would be is another matter.

No doubt the same could be done with the ps3 however I would imagine it would be ALOT more difficult to get right.

4. pinkacidbootson

Mobster

PS3 is liscenced to use AGEIA's PhysX SDK, NovodeX, and Havok's physics and animation engine. I believe Xbox 360 can also use these in games. Both consoles have the hardware and software available to make great use of physics in games.

5. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

They have 6 cores, not 3 iirc.

6. DaveyD

Man of Honour

It'll totally depend upon the game and the developer really, as if you want to utilise some of the power of the consoles for complex physics, you're going to have to cut back on a little eye candy or similar.

Dead or Alive is a horrid example though, as it's hardly a realistic game where you'd thing "hmmm, I wish those objects fell and bounced around properly, it would make the game feel so more realistic" etc :p

7. oweneades

Sgarrista

Isn't it basically three dual core power pc cores on one chip or something like that?!

8. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

I think it's more like there's one core with a number of other specialized integrated vector processors that can be given work.

9. oweneades

Sgarrista

Taken directly from wikipedia (seems to agree to most other sites as well)

(sorry I got curious lol)

10. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

A-ha! I was talking about the Cell, not the Xenon. My bad. ;)

11. oweneades

Sgarrista

:) They do share roughly the same base I believe.

No doubt as I said above they should both be able to set aside certain processes to do physics (or like in COD2 where the game developers used one core to do the smoke effects)

12. da_mic_1530

Sgarrista

i think saints row uses havok physics on a basic level

13. Minstadave

Caporegime

They're similar in there functioning, but Cell is an odd cookie as it has asymmetrical processing units (One PPE to 8 SPEs - though the number of SPEs is dropping to try and shore up Sony's rubbish yield) where as Xenon is a more conventional 3 core SMT system.

Both should be pretty good for physics I would have thought, I don't know how well the current games on Xbox360 take advantage of the 3 cores, but I would have thought there would be plenty of CPU cycles going unused.

14. dirtydog

PermaBanned

DOA games are supposed to have unrealistic bouncing bits :p

15. ikillbears

Mobster

do the shirts in Table Tennis count as physics , they move so dam beautifully and realistically

16. Psyk

Sgarrista

There are probably more console games than you realise that use physics engines, it's just that since consoles and their gamers are generally less technical, it's not advertised as much as with PC games.

Wow didn't realise the PS3 SDK included all 3 (although I think NovodeX and PhysX are now the same thing). Good move by Sony to include them. Although it means that multiplatform games won't be able to use them unless they have a license anyway. But at least it'll be an incentive for developers to make PS3 exclusives since they are getting an expensive physics engine thrown in for free.

17. Eliot

Soldato

the physics on saints row are very good,