Pi4 to VGA or Display port

Soldato
Hello all,

Just ordered my first Pi (4b) and finished putting in a case, boots up well but was hoping to connect it to my All-in-one Lenovo pc (monitor computer basically) for display/sound - I thought it had a HDMI port on back but it doesn't :( only VGA and something i've not heard of before - DP display port?

Just ordered the following as thought worth a shot:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HD...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Display-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I should've asked here first as i'm now thinking at best I'll get video but not sound?

Any help or info appreciated :)

Associate
VGA doesn't carry sound, that's why the first one you linked breaks the audio out to a separate jack. You'll only get sound with that if you have an audio input in the target device, plug it into another audio device, or plug some headphones into the adaptor.

Second one is unlikely to work at all. These adaptors are rarely bi-directional and the one you have bought is intended to be converting from an output device with a displayport to HDMI, not the other way round. I'm happy to be wrong on this but I've spent the last 6 months supporting users in their attempts to rig up multiple monitors for working at home and it's the #1 trip up for people. Just because it physically fits doesn't mean it works that way electrically.

Soldato
OP
Just checked and there is a line in on monitor pc but not sure if that will be active when I switch to vga mode.
Good point with the headphones, if worst comes to it i have some bluetooth head phones here so might be able to use that.

Soldato
Are you sure the Lenovo has VGA in and not VGA out? It’s just it’s a very odd feature to have on an AIO PC or any PC for that matter.

Soldato
OP
Are you sure the Lenovo has VGA in and not VGA out? It’s just it’s a very odd feature to have on an AIO PC or any PC for that matter.

Sorry for delay and thanks for reply :)

Had some free time recently and it is now setup - The Display Port DP to HDMI adapter did not work at all, screen blank (so that's an OUT feature only). The HDMI female to VGA converter did though (using it with a hdmi to hdmi mini cable) :) Nice clear full screen image. The audio input on the converter nor the 3.5mm connector on monitor gave any sound though (so that's possibly just OUT too?). Luckily on my desk I have a little DAB radio which has a 3.5mm input - plugged one end into PI and the other into radio, selected AUX input and it gives a surprisingly good sound! :) So, got there in the end and i'm pleased :)

Back
Top Bottom