Pic Of The Day 16th March

Soldato
Pic Of The Day 17th March

Todays pic is quite different to the usual offerings found in this post, and could easily be mistaken for something from a sci-fi movie.:)

solarsail_msfc.jpg

Solar Sail

Nearly 400 years ago astronomer Johannes Kepler observed comet tails blown by a solar breeze and suggested that vessels might likewise navigate through space using appropriately fashioned sails. It is now widely recognized that sunlight does indeed produce a force which moves comet tails and a large, reflective sail could be a practical means of propelling a spacecraft. In fact, the illustration above represents one concept explored by NASA centers to develop an interstellar probe pushed along by sunlight reflected from an ultrathin sail. Nearly half a kilometer wide, the delicate solar sail would be unfurled in space. Continuous pressure from sunlight would ultimately accelerate the craft to speeds about five times higher than possible with conventional rockets -- without requiring any fuel! If launched in 2010 such a probe could overtake Voyager 1, the most distant spacecraft bound for interstellar space, in 2018 going as far in eight years as the Voyager will have journeyed in 41 years.

Credit: NASA / MSFC Illustration

A larger version of this piccy can be found here, this is a 198K Jpeg image.

A site with further explainations about solar sails can be found here.

Previous Pic Of The Day posts

16th Mar 03
15th Mar 03
14th Mar 03
13th Mar 03
11th Mar 03
09th Mar 03
08th Mar 03

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sorry about the wrong date chaps:o

Me needs to get my brain back in sync with reality today, I've been too busy planning things that are date specific and I lost track of the date.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Can't it be edited then S'ah. I'm sure I've changed the titles of posts before - maybe you can only do it for a short while.

Not a problem anyway - it doesn't detract from the picture (despite the comments about temporal anomalies).

Soldato
Originally posted by Markjcj
Sorry about the wrong date chaps:o

Me needs to get my brain back in sync with reality today, I've been too busy planning things that are date specific and I lost track of the date.

but wont that mean all that you have planed will be wrong as well??? :D

Soldato
OP
LoL, no I was using my calendar for my other stuff.:)

Strange, I edited the title and it's changed on the top of the thread but not on the post title:confused:

Back
Top Bottom