Picked up a Nikon D800. I have questions!

Associate
Hi there, I have managed to pick my self up a second hand Nikon D800. It was advertised as "Condition 7" (Marks on the body, dirt in the view finder, paint rubbed off the buttons and the metering dial being stiff. Tho the sensor was clean). At £900 and the cheapest I'd seen one after looking at them for a while, I decided to pick it up and send it back if it was in really bad shape.

So it arrived in the post and I was overjoyed at its condition. There are 2 marks on the base were the smallest amount of paint has rubbed off, the dirt in the view finder was on the outside and cleaned out easy. All the paint on the buttons is as new, none rubbed off. The metering dial doesn't feel overly stiff. Inside its as clean as a whistle. So all in all I think I'll be keeping it.

My questions..

I mostly take landscapes and my previous setup was a Nikon D7000 and a Tokina 11mm - 16mm. I am aware I can use the tokina in DX mode and in FX mode use it at 15mm - 16mm (the worlds smallest zoom), but what sort of ultra/wide angle lens should I be looking at for the D800 ?

The D800 does not appear to have the same remote timer port as my D7000. Can anyone recommend a remote timer? and where does it plug in ?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Take a few pictures in FF or 1.2 crop mode first and see what it looks like. You might be perfectly OK using it at 1.2 crop and might get lucky enough to only have slight vignetting on a FF.
If you really want a FF wide angle, I'd look at the samyang 14mm.

Soldato
The remote plugs into the socket (2nd one down with a rubber cover) under the "D800".

I use a hahnel Giga T Pro II which I find very useful as it's wireless and can be programmed for many things but a cheap wired remote off the bay would be fine really.

Associate
According to Ken Rockwell the 11-16 is usable at 15-16mm on full frame (softer corners though) and at 13mm if you crop to 5:4.

Caporegime
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 is the reference wide angle that all others are compared to.

Other options are the Nikon 16-35mm f/4.0 VR, Nikon 20mm f/1.8 AF-S, and the Tamron 15-300mm f/2.8 VC.

Associate
I own a 14-24mm f2.8 which I use on my Canon body. Buy one - You will not regret it! Test it first though.. I was fortunate enough to take my pick from 12 lenses. I tested them all and took the best across the full zoom range. You'd be surprised at the variation from lense to lense.

Back
Top Bottom