Picky Eaters

Soldato
isn't this just a question of brand ? for sardines brand matters (parmantier nice), also (mostly pacific) salmon tastes nicer than 90% of farmed 'salmon'.
Both fresh sardine, and tuna quality, you can pick up in our Waitrose, is meh

No, I don't think it is. The absolute best quality tinned tuna is nothing like a piece of tuna steak. Quality does vary of course but I find tinned tuna inedible.

Caporegime
OP
No, I don't think it is. The absolute best quality tinned tuna is nothing like a piece of tuna steak. Quality does vary of course but I find tinned tuna inedible.

I don’t compare the 2, it’s like I don’t compare fresh cabbage to Kimchi or fresh pork chop to Spam. One is fresh, one isn’t, so to say they are different is stating the obvious and I wouldn’t even begin to compare them.

Now that’s over, look at it on its own and see what I can make with it. Tuna bake, tuna melt, tuna sandwiches.

Associate
I'll go 3: oysters, snails and coconut.

The former two untried but unappealing, the latter a taste I don't favour at all. There are a few other things on that list I don't particularly like (i.e. olives), but nothing I would point blank refuse.

I would, however, say a firm no to much of those on the 'specialty' list here! And you can add casu marzu to that too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t compare the 2, it’s like I don’t compare fresh cabbage to Kimchi or fresh pork chop to Spam. One is fresh, one isn’t, so to say they are different is stating the obvious and I wouldn’t even begin to compare them.

Now that’s over, look at it on its own and see what I can make with it. Tuna bake, tuna melt, tuna sandwiches.

I get what you're saying, but Kimchi and cabbage are very different words. As are pork chop and spam. Tinned tuna and tuna are similar enough that they might appear to be the same thing, albeit with one in a tin. They're not.

Associate
Lychees so good as fresh fruit or flavouring. Such a mellow, yet exotic flavour.

Love the texture though many hate it, always been fine with natural jelly texture like aloe vera drinks, including lychee flavoured ones.

My local supermarkets have big ethnic selections being in London, so I often try a new drink or snack, latest is Black Grass Drink, I think it's Thai, delicious but weird for most, canned like Coke, but non carbonated has a root beerish grassy taste with lumps of grass jelly at the bottom. Enough for most to dislike based on description alone, but it's really good.

Caporegime
OP
Lychees so good as fresh fruit or flavouring. Such a mellow, yet exotic flavour.

Love the texture though many hate it, always been fine with natural jelly texture like aloe vera drinks, including lychee flavoured ones.

My local supermarkets have big ethnic selections being in London, so I often try a new drink or snack, latest is Black Grass Drink, I think it's Thai, delicious but weird for most, canned like Coke, but non carbonated has a root beerish grassy taste with lumps of grass jelly at the bottom. Enough for most to dislike based on description alone, but it's really good.

I had that 2 nights ago! It comes in a tin, black jelly. I just get a knife and cut it into cubes in a bowl, sprinkle some brown sugar on top and eat it. Best eaten when chilled.

Last edited:
When I was a school kid, there was this girl in my class who was a very picky eater. When she thought no-one was looking, she would be rooting around in her nostrils mining for bogies to slip in her mouth to snack on. It was quite nauseating but this was over 35 years ago. However... I met her again a few years ago and nothing has changed apart from she has ballooned weight and can barely waddle along, bless her.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Nothing on that list, although there are a few I will only eat if cooked a specific way (i.e. only brussel sprouts in bubble and squeak with loads of bacon - yum!).

Soldato
True story - so my parents cooks a lot of fish, growing up i used to pick the eyeball out of a fish and eat it and chew it until the centre part which is almost like hard plastic. I found it strangely enjoyable.

I don'd do that anymore!

So my first reaction to reading that is kind of "yuck". Well, more than "kind of" if I'm honest. But then I thought... well, I really enjoy whitebait and you eat them whole, eyes and all so perhaps there's not really much difference? I dunno. Still don't get any urges to chew on fish eyes, though. :)

Nothing on that list, although there are a few I will only eat if cooked a specific way (i.e. only brussel sprouts in bubble and squeak with loads of bacon - yum!).

Ah yeah, I find the same with sprouts. Most people seem to cook them by boiling them to a semi-mush, and in that state I think they're distinctly unpalatable. However, when they're par-boiled and then roasted or fried with bacon, chestnuts, garlic, etc. they become something quite sublime.

Caporegime
OP
So my first reaction to reading that is kind of "yuck". Well, more than "kind of" if I'm honest. But then I thought... well, I really enjoy whitebait and you eat them whole, eyes and all so perhaps there's not really much difference? I dunno. Still don't get any urges to chew on fish eyes, though. :)

Ah yeah, I find the same with sprouts. Most people seem to cook them by boiling them to a semi-mush, and in that state I think they're distinctly unpalatable. However, when they're par-boiled and then roasted or fried with bacon, chestnuts, garlic, etc. they become something quite sublime.

Some people, not all, but some, when they say "I don't like that". What they really mean is "I have only had that 1 way and it was cooked terribly" What it came down to is they don't know how to use that ingredient to cook it the best way and they blame the ingredient tasting bad as oppose to their terrible cooking. So from that they wouldn't ever eat it as they associate it in their mind that is what it taste like and that is forever how it will taste like. Their brain will subconsciously always engage that part and bring that memory up whenever even the name of the ingredient is mentioned.

"Nope, I don't like that!"

Even when it is cooked totally different, in a different recipe.

That is a key part of a picky eater.

Soldato
well, I really enjoy whitebait and you eat them whole
I used to enjoy white bait until I learned it was an industry extracting immature fish from the seas for the UK restaurant trade (Icelandic I thought),
maybe brexit will see the back of them,
was ethics, the origin of the earlier posts "won't eat" categorisation

Permabanned

My mother said as a baby i would only eat potato and carrot and half the stuff on that list repulses me. Liver? Raw fish? What am I Gollum?

So you might ask what is dinner today then? Well Irish soup made from carrot leek celery parsley and celery leaf and some lentils and served with potatoes and white bread rolls. :D

Soldato
There is nothing on that list I wouldn't eat.

Infact of everything I've tried so far in my life, only 2 things i really don't like, orange flavour in savoury dishes, eg duck in orange sauce, that orange sauce, yuk.

Also jellied eels, as much as I wanted to like them, that jelly is like eating semi solidified sea water.

The eel bit would be ok I guess if I could scrape all the jelly off, I don't mind eel otherwise.

I've tried all sorts, genuine Thai soups with offal in, offal, all sorts of meats, cat food, insects (I'd only eat those cooked), any kind of seafood anything really.

Associate
I can't believe most of you guys eat tea :confused: I didn't even know it was a thing? Coffee I can sort of understand as it can be used as a flavour in chocolate and cake, but tea?

There's lots on that list that I used to eat, but now can't because of gout:(

Back
Top Bottom