Pimax Vision 8K X

Associate
Very interested to see developments of VR over the course of time. On YouTube you can see side by side comparisons with the Pimax Vision 8K X with Oculus, HP, and Valve VR headsets. The difference is stunning to say the least, the main difference is the FOV at a whopping 200 degrees, compared to an average of 90-120* for the others. I thought our eyes can only see 180 degrees horizontal, so that is confusing to me? At 2x4K res. the Pimax is crystal clear. However, as always there are drawbacks. The Pimax looks very bulky. As with other VR headsets, there bulkiness does put a lot of people off. I have the Oculus CV1, and the bulkiness of these headsets is a major issue. Another issue is price, the full Pimax package will set you back just under £1,500, probably worth it for the extra FOV and 8K resolution. At the moment the best value VR headset has to be the Oculus Quest 2. Looking forward to the future of VR when they will use some crystal clear graphine type of display the wraps round your head at full FOV of our eyes, fully wireless, and so ultra light you will hardly know you are wearing them.

Soldato
Surely you could argue that graphics cards simply aren't upto that yet. The headset is far in advanced to the tech to drive it, and generally, that means by the time the tech comes along that can use it, it'll be outdated in other ways (size, lenses, tracking etc).

Soldato
the pimax headsets are all trash and the company are a bunch of crooks basically, on paper pimax headsets have fantastic specs but when you actually use them you discover;

their IPD adjustment is flat out wrong, when it says you have it set to 60mm ipd, the actual lens centers are at 70mm, my IPD is 64 but when set to 64 all I can see is a blurry mess, even setting it to 60mm doesn't actually help, one eye I can see clear by moving the headset off center but then the other eye just gets worse

the headstrap is by far the least comfortable of any headset, do it up comfortable and the headset flops about, do it secure and it basically try to cut your face open

the distortion is so bad that tech support just tell you not to use the wide FOV setting

their drivers work or don't work with a variety of games from one patch to the next

they have a big push on the "modularity" of the headset but then when they release modules that are supposed to plug in to the headset you discover you need to run a cable to the PC to get it to work

the bluetooth in the headset barely works and most people buy steam dongles to have their controllers work

they take "pre-orders" telling people they are shipping in 1-2 months and then take a year to relase the product

the 8K headset they said used full 4K RGB stripe panels are actually pentile, then they release the 8K+ that does have 4K panels, like bait and switch

the list goes on and on

I've even seen someone receive a DOA unit and Pimax tech support say that its not their issue and refuse an RMA, even cables (which fail all the time on pimax) take 3-6 months to be replaced, and their warranty is 1 year on a product that costs north of £1k, what a joke

Anyone thinking of buying from Pimax should read their forum and Reddit before buying, the tales from their other victims, er, I mean, customers, should be fair warning.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
the pimax headsets are all trash and the company are a bunch of crooks basically, on paper pimax headsets have fantastic specs but when you actually use them you discover.......
Thanks andybird123, you know your stuff and done some research, wish there were more like you. I had a hunch that the Pimax was too good to be true. Much better off sticking to the popular reliable makes like Oculus, Valve, HP, et. Hewlett Packard has been around for as long as I can remember, so if I did eventually buy a VR headset it would be theirs.
Thanks again for the feedback. All the best.

Soldato
the pimax headsets are all trash and the company are a bunch of crooks basically, on paper pimax headsets have fantastic specs but when you actually use them you discover;

their IPD adjustment is flat out wrong, when it says you have it set to 60mm ipd, the actual lens centers are at 70mm, my IPD is 64 but when set to 64 all I can see is a blurry mess, even setting it to 60mm doesn't actually help, one eye I can see clear by moving the headset off center but then the other eye just gets worse

the headstrap is by far the least comfortable of any headset, do it up comfortable and the headset flops about, do it secure and it basically try to cut your face open

the distortion is so bad that tech support just tell you not to use the wide FOV setting

their drivers work or don't work with a variety of games from one patch to the next

they have a big push on the "modularity" of the headset but then when they release modules that are supposed to plug in to the headset you discover you need to run a cable to the PC to get it to work

the bluetooth in the headset barely works and most people buy steam dongles to have their controllers work

they take "pre-orders" telling people they are shipping in 1-2 months and then take a year to relase the product

the 8K headset they said used full 4K RGB stripe panels are actually pentile, then they release the 8K+ that does have 4K panels, like bait and switch

the list goes on and on

I've even seen someone receive a DOA unit and Pimax tech support say that its not their issue and refuse an RMA, even cables (which fail all the time on pimax) take 3-6 months to be replaced, and their warranty is 1 year on a product that costs north of £1k, what a joke

Anyone thinking of buying from Pimax should read their forum and Reddit before buying, the tales from their other victims, er, I mean, customers, should be fair warning.

The only things I would disagree with are the IPD and the bluetooth. My 5K+ had no issues with bluetooth on both older Vive controlers, or the Index controllers. I have an IPD of 63 and had no issues with clarity.

The rest of your list is absolutely spot on. I ordered an 8KX back in Oct2019 and am still waiting for the delivery or even the tracking details. My multiple support tickets are either ignored or I get a generic "we are sorry we will post soon". Though I will add the my experience with the 5K+ from a technological standpoint was very good overall. I rated it slightly better than the index because even the small FoV was better than an Index and had zero distortion.

I will also add to the list that their staff ignore requests for help on the forum. There are a number of people with the same problem re delivery and the threads asking for updates are ignored or even closed/moved to obscure sections of the forum.

So technology is overall good, support and business practices is bad.

DO NOT BUY FROM PIMAX.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only things I would disagree with are the IPD and the bluetooth. My 5K+ had no issues with bluetooth on both older Vive controlers, or the Index controllers. I have an IPD of 63 and had no issues with clarity.

DO NOT BUY FROM PIMAX.

Yeah, not everybody has every problem, I just listed up the ones I had plus the most common issues I've seen. Back when they were charging $500 for a headset it seemed worth a punt. At the best part of $2000 for a full kit, one year warranty and a company that will do everything they can to avoid even honouring that much warranty, yeesh, totally not worth it.

Their standard response to cracked cases, misaligned/dusty lenses, or even stuck/dead pixels is to offer like a $50 voucher, like anyone wants to spend more money with them when they work out they have a $1000 paperweight.

Associate
When I got my 8k and the headtracking was off, their response was “don’t move your head so quickly”. Love the headset, and luckily it’s still going strong, but as above you need to get lucky and not have issues.

Edit: software updates seem to have sorted the tracking latency issue

Soldato
the FOV at a whopping 200 degrees, compared to an average of 90-120* for the others. I thought our eyes can only see 180 degrees horizontal, so that is confusing to me?

It’s about 190 degrees looking straight ahead, but then you need to account for the fact you can rotate your eyeballs. If you look to either side you add an extra 15 degrees (per side) giving a total area of around 220 degrees.

1*HhK2gvo-eINK_ebISS4jcQ.png

Associate
so tyriel quite likes the 8kx going by that vid. i like mine. the fov of course is really good and the resolution/clarity is decent. it is not as plug n play as something like a quest 2 but if you're reasonably competent with tech then it's no bother. i use my 8kx for wired seated simming and my quest 2 for everything else. i do have a nagging feeling that my 8kx will die somehow given pimax's reputation and the build quality not being the best (imo) but upto now it's been ok. i want it to last so i can trade it in for the upcoming 12K.

Back
Top Bottom