ping command

Associate
i need to add a ping command to a computers startup file to wake up a vpn connection between two networks.

tried creating a batch and a command file with 'ping 192.168.16.2' in them but thats doesn't work.

any ideas?

cheers

Soldato
I'd had to do something similar for management folk using laptops at home via a VPN.

But basically they have to connect to the vpn, then i used a batch file with "ping x.x.x.x -t".

The -t sets the ping to repeat. I found that keeps their vpn connection alive.

I don't know of any way to "wakeup" a vpn connection.

Soldato
Maybe it's trying to ping before it's connected to the network or something...

You're best of asking in the networks section.

Soldato
Jimathy said:
i need to add a ping command to a computers startup file to wake up a vpn connection between two networks.

tried creating a batch and a command file with 'ping 192.168.16.2' in them but thats doesn't work.

any ideas?

cheers

In what sense are you waking it up? You won't be able to ping a network address until the PC's connected to the same network, in this case via VPN.

Associate
OP
The VPN is between two netgear DG834's, timeout is set to 10hrs and the ike keepalive is set to ping between a couple of network printers.

Its just that the netgears seem to be really flakey where reconnecting the vpn after the timeout period is concerned. sometimes its stays up for days and other times you have to smack it with a hammer to get it reconnected.

ping.exe was the answer i was looking for cheers Baz.

i'll take this to networks.

Caporegime
Just for the young ones...

If you enter "path" in your Command Prompt you'll see the folders that will be searched through to find your ping.exe. It should be in your c:\windows\system32 folder but your environment variables may not point to this folder so will never be searched and therefore will not run it.

Soldato
Mr Blonde said:
Just for the young ones...

If you enter "path" in your Command Prompt you'll see the folders that will be searched through to find your ping.exe. It should be in your c:\windows\system32 folder but your environment variables may not point to this folder so will never be searched and therefore will not run it.

That's got nothing to do with what he said- he said you must type 'ping.exe' instead of 'ping' when you don't need to ;) Go and take yourself off to GD and join the OCC :p

Caporegime
Trigger said:
That's got nothing to do with what he said- he said you must type 'ping.exe' instead of 'ping' when you don't need to ;) Go and take yourself off to GD and join the OCC :p

In retrospect I wish I'd gone straight to bed after the party last night :p
/Goes hunting for more Nurofen..

Back
Top Bottom