1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer DVR108 lost writing speed!

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by InQ, 23 Jan 2006.

1. InQ

Wise Guy

I've got a Pioneer DVR108 and have just burnt a couple of ISO files to 16x DVD-R's using DVD Decrypter.
    In my old system (P4, Intel chipset mobo) once i had flashed the 108 with the latest firmware it burnt them at 16x (once on the outer edge!) however in my new system (DFI Lanparty Ultra-D, Opteron 146) it will only burn up to around 11x on the same DVD-R's (16x rated) and the write speed seems to vary quite a bit at any point on the DVD-R were as before at various parts of the burn it was relatively stable at 8x, 12x etc.
    Also the device buffer seems to be going up and down alot once it gets over about 50% written (device buffer drops to 20% then up to 100%, then down to 20% etc etc rather quickly) and i dont recall it doing this on my old setup!
    Any any ideas why this is?
    Is it a driver problem (using XP SP2 were as my old system used XP SP1), would uninstalling the drive and rebooting thus allowing XP to find the drive again make any difference?
    I'm also using the latest NF4 chipset drivers.

TIA for any help.

2. InQ

Wise Guy

Ok update!
    Tried uninstalling the drive and letting XP find it again but that didnt change anything.
    So next thing was to burn the ISO from my serial ATA drive rather than my PATA drive and like that it worked fine! held a steady 10x, 12x and finally 16x for the last ~10%.
    So must be either a driver conflict when writing across the primary and secondary ATA channels or maybe the round IDE cable i got with my DFI mobo isnt to great...i have a fully screened IDE cable from a friend to try (i was going to try it with my DVDRW!).
    The PATA drive (Seagate Barracuda IV 80Gb) gets about what it should be getting in HDTach3 though (apart from the burst being ~55mbps rather than 70mbps as per the drives in the comparison list). :confused:

Anyone any ideas why its not liking DVDRW writing over the PATA channels??
    (Seagate is on primary as master, DVDRW is on secondary as master (both on their own cable at the end of the cable).