Plane Spotters / Flight Radar Thread

Soldato

If it helps anyone I've moved on from this and I now use the below docker containers in a stack all running on the pi4:

mikenye/readsb-protobuf (alternative to dump1090)
mikenye/piaware
mikenye/fr24feed

These and more available from https://github.com/mikenye?tab=repositories. The documentation is very good.

The readsb container also sends the output to my influxdb which can then be used to generate a self hosted dashboard with grafana, here is a ready made example by the same guy - https://grafana.com/grafana/dashboards/13168. This setup can also be used to send push alerts to my phone when certain planes of interest are active in the area. I'm going to get Alexa to play a siren when the local spitfire goes up :D

Very happy with this setup although I will experiment with tar1090 and see if that offers anything over the above.

https://radar.jg.burdenator.co.uk/

Caporegime
Sounds like an airport overhead tonight, Biden and co are apparently eating at the Eden Project which is only a mile away from me. Couple of Eurofighters patrolling the skies off the north coast but can't see or hear them.

Associate
They are in an air to air refuelling area at the moment, with the A330 tanker. AWACS off the to west of those as well.
One what basis so they need air patrols, a complete farce considering the 'green' agenda.

Any threat would be easily identified and dealt with regardless of a single EF circling for 6 hours being in the sky

Soldato
A few jets is nothing in the grand scheme of things regarding emissions.

How would an aerial threat be dealt with exactly? The Eurofighters are from RAF Coningsby, some 300 miles away, it's better to have to were they currently are, already airborne with altitude, 50 miles away.

Soldato
One what basis so they need air patrols, a complete farce considering the 'green' agenda.

Any threat would be easily identified and dealt with regardless of a single EF circling for 6 hours being in the sky

how would you deal with an aircraft entering a temporary restricted area without fighters on station nearby though? A plane enters the temporary no fly, the fighters get vectored onto it to demand it changes course, lands, etc.

Kind of like this, someone more knowledgable than me will correct me, it in that video Phat seem to be the fighters, Bigfoot might be the AWACS?

Associate
A few jets is nothing in the grand scheme of things regarding emissions.

How would an aerial threat be dealt with exactly? The Eurofighters are from RAF Coningsby, some 300 miles away, it's better to have to were they currently are, already airborne with altitude, 50 miles away.
Surely a temporary base at RNAS Culdrose/RAF Portreath could have been provisioned?

I think the point is who's coming from the west, any potential threat is coming from the east right?

Soldato
Surely a temporary base at RNAS Culdrose/RAF Portreath could have been provisioned?

I think the point is who's coming from the west, any potential threat is coming from the east right?
No, it doesn't work that way, it's far better to be stationed where all the infrastructure is and fly down, rather than having to move everything to the south west, even if it's temporary. Besides, they would still need to be airborne. Many of the worlds leaders are in one location, if something goes wrong the consequences are severe, it warrants having a few aircraft airborne, ready just in case.

Why do you think a threat would only come from the east? Aircraft move in 3 dimensions. You're probably only thinking of a military threat from the east, there are other threats out there.

Soldato
On the myriad of flight tracking sites, where does the flight plan information come from? Is it a case that anything with a source/destination for the most part is commercial and presumably it has to be registered and can be accessed/viewed by these sites? Do general aviation flights have to file flight plans of where they are going etc. and if so can that be viewed?

Just curious more than anything. Often see a lot of GA stuff coming and going overhead and often wondered how it works. Can someone jump in their Cessna for example and decide to fly to Liverpool from Leeds etc?

Soldato
Flight Plans on the tracking sites comes from a database consisting of publically available schedule information supplied by the airlines. The database will either be created by the Tracking company themselves or more than likely a 3rd party, like FlightAware.

There are a number of set conditions that require the filing of a Flightplan, one of which is if the aircraft wishes to fly inside controlled airspace. So in your example of Liverpool and Leeds, both of which are located inside controlled airspace, the GA aircraft would be required to file a flight plan. This could, however, just be an abbreviated flightplan, which is the minimum required, and could be as little as Aircraft Reg, Aircraft Type and Direction of Departure.

Everything you ever wanted to know...... :p

10. Filing of Flight Plans 10.1 Flight plans fall into two categories:
(1) Full flight plans; the information required on Form CA48/RAF2919.
(2) Abbreviated flight plans; the limited information required to obtain a clearance for a portion of flight, e.g. flying in a control zone, crossing an airway etc. filed either on the RTF or by telephone prior to take-off.

10.2 The local ATSU may assist in compiling flight plans and checking them. However, the ultimate responsibility for filing an accurate flight plan rests with the pilot or aircraft operator.

10.3 The destination aerodrome will be advised of the flight only if the flight plan information covers the whole route of the flight.

10.4 An airborne flight plan may be filed provided that the pilot leaves sufficient time for the clearance to be issued before the aircraft reaches the boundary of controlled airspace (normally 10 minutes).

10.5 A pilot may file a flight plan for any flight.

10.6 A pilot is required to file a flight plan for ((EU) 923/2012 SERA.4001(b)):
(1) any flight or portion thereof to be provided with an air traffic control service;
(2) any IFR flight within advisory airspace;
(3) any flight within or into areas, or along routes designated by the Authority, to facilitate the provision of flight information, alerting and search and rescue services;
(4) any flight within or into areas or along routes designated by the Authority, to facilitate coordination with appropriate military units or with air traffic service units in adjacent States in order to avoid the possible need for interception for the purposes of identification prescribed by the States concerned;
(5) any flight across international boundaries; Note: For the purposes of (EU) 923/2012 SERA.4001(b)(5) ‘Submission of a flight plan’ in the UK, the international borders for flight planning purposes are the international FIR boundaries.
(6) any flight planned to operate at night, if leaving the vicinity of an aerodrome.

10.7 A pilot is advised to file a flight plan: (1) if his flight involves flying over the sea more than 10 miles from the UK coast or flying over sparsely populated areas where SAR operations would be difficult; or (2) if he intends to fly into an area in which SAR operations are in progress. The flight plan should include the expected times of entering and leaving the area and the details must also be passed to the parent ACC. The ACC is to notify the ARCC concerned.

10.8 A pilot who has filed a flight plan to a destination without an ATSU and not connected to the AFTN shall comply with the following procedure:
(1) Nominate a responsible person at his destination and inform him of the planned ETA. If the aircraft fails to arrive within 30 minutes of the ETA the responsible person will notify the parent ATSU. That ATSU will then initiate Alerting action; or
(2) If no responsible person can be found, the pilot will contact the parent ATSU and request that they act in the same capacity. The pilot is then required to inform the parent ATSU of his arrival within 30 minutes of the notified ETA, otherwise Alerting action will automatically be initiated.

Man of Honour
I'm assuming part of Exercise Grey Eagle but ton of helicopter activity tonight country wide - lots of Chinooks and Wildcats up popping on and off flight radar.

Puma with the id Ambush01 doing some strange stuff as well - I'm guessing it is acting as the target or something.

Caporegime
I'm assuming part of Exercise Grey Eagle but ton of helicopter activity tonight country wide - lots of Chinooks and Wildcats up popping on and off flight radar.

Puma with the id Ambush01 doing some strange stuff as well - I'm guessing it is acting as the target or something.

Something called "Uk Test" over oxford, any ideas?

Man of Honour
Something called "Uk Test" over oxford, any ideas?

Nope - was actually thinking about posting if anyone knew.

There's a V-22 Osprey cutting about north Norfolk keeping people awake too.

Yeah XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX or something id hah. There are a whole load more up but they only pop up on flight radar when over populated areas it seems.

Only lifter1 and lifter2 currently showing, was Talon17 around for quite a bit - don't recall the ids of the others.

One was something like SHFT44 or something (EDIT: SHF444)

Carbon02 popped up - US Army Apache.

Ambush01 back up near Burngate on the south coast.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom