Planning for the inevitible future - will you be buying a petrol car just before new ICE is banned?

Man of Honour
As we know, sales of new ICE vehicles are to be stopped from 2030. Will you be buying a petrol/diesel car shortly before they are banned?

I will be 61 in 2030. Had the ban not been in place then realistically I would have been looking to get the inevitable retirement car in my mid 60's to see me into the next decade or two. With the ban coming into effect when I'm 61 it's close enough to try to buy a final petrol car at that point (or probably a few years earlier to avoid the price gauging). Plans may change if ICE is also banned from parts of the UK or the tax on fuel is punitive. But that's what I'm currently aiming for. If I buy a decent car at the switchover point then I can probably keep it until I'm no longer able to drive.

What are your plans?

Soldato
I suspect highly regarded ICE will begin to creep up in value from 2028 or so, perhaps earlier.

Maybe manufacturers will go crazy and sell all kinds of whacky engines in a bid to make money before they're banned?

I'm personally not that fussed about ICE. I'd love to own a V8, sure, but it's not going to change my life :)

Soldato
I'll stay with ICE until EVs do what I require, in a manner I like, and at a price I can afford.
If they price me off the road, then I'll probably just walk... or get a horse.

Man of Honour
Either electric cars will be massively better and much more convenient by then or the random and arbitrary year selected will be pushed back.

Soldato
Probably I'll get at least one more petrol car by then and maybe swap my diesel BMW in a few years. May go down the PEV route at some point as we have a drive that we can install a charge point on. Full EVs just don't seem to make enough sense yet but hopefully the next 10 years will be groundbreaking enough that they do by the end of the decade.

Soldato
ICE will still be around in 20-30 years time. No credible political party is going to ban them in 2030 either that's just princess nut nut's telling Boris what to do in reality it will get extended again and again as we do not live in an ideal world & EVs are a long way from being mainstream anytime soon as there is most likely going to be an economic crash sometime this decade similar to the great economic depression of the 1920-30s!

Soldato
There are still loads of 20 year old cars driving around (and the average age of cars in Europe is currently getting OLDER). Petrol isn't going to vanish in our lifetime.

Soldato
Either electric cars will be massively better and much more convenient by then or the random and arbitrary year selected will be pushed back.

That's my thinking.

I'm not against electric I just think the infrastructure is all over the place, they cost too much and push emissions elsewhere so are basically pointless. Especially with the current lease, own for 2-3 years, replace logic of a lot of people. That's probably much more damaging than say running an older petrol/euro 6 diesel.

Soldato
It's way more damaging. People need to start keeping cars for far longer.

But that is bad for business, so it won't be encouraged. We'll keep pretending EVs are cleaner until the next fad comes along, then will all need to buy the new thing asap to save the planet!

Caporegime
I will be getting an EV when they are identical to ICE as in charge in minutes and have 400+ miles range.

Buying into EV this early is pretty pointless as well. ICE has reached a plateau where improvements from say 15 years ago are not as much as EV's. An EV today compared to one in ten years time will be in a totally different galaxy. The tech is moving very quickly.

Soldato
Yeah thats what I meant, I forgot the abbreviation and didn't bother looking it up... 9 lashes I guess :D
It's one of those things, it feels like there are so many abbreviations in the EV world it's hard to tell if someone else has mistyped one or if you've just not seen it before :p

Soldato
I can't see the ban coming into force in 2030 but say it does there will be few ICE cars available as all the major manufacturers will have moved away from producing cars they won't be able to sell after the ban.

I really can't see electric being ready to take over unless the conversion of lamp posts to chargers starts to roll out, they won't be enough chargers for all shoppers requiring them while in Tesco etc.

Soldato
I don't have anything against electric cars, but they are not cost effective, they cost a fortune which far outweighs any fuel and car tax savings us the batteries have a limited lifespan.

I can buy a good used petrol vehicle for cheap, it last 10+ years and other than the cost of fuel over electric costs little to maintain as I do servicing myself.

Also it's okay where I live , I have my own drive so can hook up all the charging equipment, how do you do that when you live on a street on a city with only on street parking?

If EVs became more affordable and they sorted the charging infrastructure, id switch and probably not look back, until then I'll stick to petrol.

Soldato
Doesn't the 'ban' still allow Hybrids/Plug-in Hybrids? e.g. anything 'electrified'... So you'd still be able to buy a car with a petrol engine for a while beyond that...

Plus like said they'll be second hand petrol cars around for decades past that point :)

Soldato
If only there was some kind of energy dense liquid fuel. You'd save loads of weight, tyres would last longer, so would tarmac. You could fill it up in seconds instead of hours :p

Back
Top Bottom