Planning for the inevitible future - will you be buying a petrol car just before new ICE is banned?

Caporegime
Good video on this from HG he is very thorough with it.

I can't help but wonder and even perhaps be a tad concerned based on the fact I have two 'high end' performance petrol cars worth a bit of cash. I am 32 this year and will be 41 when the ban comes into effect. I am hoping well into my 60's and 70's I can still enjoy both cars!

Definitely not ready to hang my petrol hat up in my lifetime.

I would imagine it has some enthusiasts a little concerned?

If your look at your cars from just a financial aspect which is a bit silly anyway unless you are mega rich. Then yes it might be a problem but fuel supply if anything will become cheaper. Oil will still need to be refined for everything else like jet fuel, lorries, farmers, boats etc so there will be a surplus if anything. Petrol will still be around for at least 30 years in normal capacity.

I am still waiting for FTTP in 2021 and will more than likely not get anything for at least another 2 years. Same again for 5g in my little town. To think this government can get a working charging network in under ten years whilst dealing with Brexit is just not going to happen!

Soldato
fuel supply if anything will become cheaper. Oil will still need to be refined for everything else like jet fuel, lorries, farmers, boats etc so there will be a surplus if anything. Petrol will still be around for at least 30 years in normal capacity.

Conversely, I think petrol will become harder to get and potentially more expensive. :)

The drivers shifting to EV will likely tend to be covering higher mileage in the main (given the running costs delta), thus moving the number of litres purchased much faster than the car parc change. The entire fuel delivery process runs as efficiently as it does because of the sheer volume. Changes to that volume mean more petrol stations becoming unviable, and generally higher refining/delivery costs on a per litre basis.

Lorries are also looking to shift to some form of EV propulsion. Last month the key manufacturers in the HGV segment committed to a zero-emission fleet (i.e. sales) by 2040. They will have to be well advanced on this by 2030.

Crude oil is also becoming increasingly expensive to extract, as the low hanging fruit has already been taken.

What will be interesting, to your point, is the mix of different types of fuel - how flexible is the refining process in terms of producing the different grades needed for different applications? :)

Caporegime
Conversely, I think petrol will become harder to get and potentially more expensive. :)

The drivers shifting to EV will likely tend to be covering higher mileage in the main (given the running costs delta), thus moving the number of litres purchased much faster than the car parc change. The entire fuel delivery process runs as efficiently as it does because of the sheer volume. Changes to that volume mean more petrol stations becoming unviable, and generally higher refining/delivery costs on a per litre basis.

Lorries are also looking to shift to some form of EV propulsion. Last month the key manufacturers in the HGV segment committed to a zero-emission fleet (i.e. sales) by 2040. They will have to be well advanced on this by 2030.

Crude oil is also becoming increasingly expensive to extract, as the low hanging fruit has already been taken.

What will be interesting, to your point, is the mix of different types of fuel - how flexible is the refining process in terms of producing the different grades needed for different applications? :)

I always thought you couldn't pick and choose between what you got out of the refining process. Well you can but petrol is the first one to come out. I always thought that's why diesel is more expensive from the pump.

Jet fuel is way down the list and we are talking many decades before planes find an alternative to jets unless everyone is happy going back to props and flying at 250 mph.

As you say that will have knock on effects and air travel will become increasingly expensive as the production of jet fuel is not offset by petrol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom