1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning to buy a new PC, what should I wait for?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Se7ven, 9 Jun 2010.

1. Se7ven

Wise Guy

Recently I bought myself an iMac but I can't seem to get used to it, so I decided I'm going to save up for the next 4-5 months and go back to a PC, a high performance once from OcUK no doubt since my last one didn't let me down.

Anyway, I have not kept up-to-date on the PC technology and wondering if you guys could help me, is there anything I should wait for before upgrading? any new types of hardware, next gen stuff?

Any advice is appreciated :D thanks

2. PraxxtorCruel

Wise Guy

Not really to be honest, there is word that a revamped edition of ati's 5000 series coming out near to the end of 2010 and of course intel's sandy bridge coming out early 2011.

3. Relentless81

Capodecina

That cant be answered specifically because everything is constantly changing, there is always next gen stuff around the corner and new types of hard ware on the horizon

Buy the best you can for your budget with whats available now and try to include as much future proofing as possible for example I went for a Socket AM3 motherboard with the latest 8 series chipset which is 6 core ready but used a 4 core processor for now because it was £100 cheaper and its not worth using a 6 core now but next year it might be worth upgrading, etc etc

4. kalvindeane

Wise Guy

What parts will you be upgrading alltogether and what budget do you have?

If you're making a new pc from scratch, then make an amd&ati build, with am3 motherboard and a 955, then upgrade the processor when bulldozer comes out if need be

5. Avyroochy

Associate

VAT is going up to 20% get it all right now!

6. PraxxtorCruel

Wise Guy

When is it going up avy?

7. infernox

Mobster

WHEN :O

i better buy my stuff quick like then :)

8. Fatboyuk2

Gangster

gtx 495 is what i am waiting for

9. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

At the budget in two weeks i imagine.