Planting daffodils and tulips

Soldato
I am Thinking of planting some daffodils and tulips for next spring

quick google suggests this time of year is best to plant them in the ground and pots

what i wondered is I got a number of round and square pots do I plant the bulbs in there and leave em outdoors or shall i put these pots/containers in my greenhouse over winter? Bit of a mixed as per my google research.

mmm got me thinking
Any other tips for planting these bulbs?

Soldato
OP
To be honest I have not planted many bulbs before and the ones I did this year was a bad experience

the plants came out and I needed bamboo sticks to support em
I will no doubt go deeper

Oh and what’s the deal with tulips? Do I need to take them out every year or something?

Soldato
To be honest I have not planted many bulbs before and the ones I did this year was a bad experience

the plants came out and I needed bamboo sticks to support em
I will no doubt go deeper

Oh and what’s the deal with tulips? Do I need to take them out every year or something?

For bulbs you just plant them in the ground in Sep/Oct and leave them over winter, no matter how frosty/icy it gets.

If you needed bamboo sticks then it's likely you bought tall ones, you can buy shorter versions of daffodils/tulips etc and they will grow without any support.

It's not a massive deal, just means the taller ones need a bit of support.

Soldato
Yer but what about in pots
Would u leave em outdoors over the winter time for example?

I do have several pots with bulbs in outside, it never even occurred to me to put them in the greenhouse. These bulbs seem to produce better stronger growth in the spring after really cold winters same with other bulbs like garlic.

Soldato
OP
For bulbs you just plant them in the ground in Sep/Oct and leave them over winter, no matter how frosty/icy it gets.

If you needed bamboo sticks then it's likely you bought tall ones, you can buy shorter versions of daffodils/tulips etc and they will grow without any support.

It's not a massive deal, just means the taller ones need a bit of support.

thanks all

these are not daffodils or tulips they are realy tall flowers with single different colours
They flower properly in july
I think i will replant them somewhere else

do I just wait for the plant to die down or can I go ahead and cut the top and replant?

i will stick the pots for daffodils and tulips outdoors then

Associate
thanks all

these are not daffodils or tulips they are realy tall flowers with single different colours
They flower properly in july
I think i will replant them somewhere else

do I just wait for the plant to die down or can I go ahead and cut the top and replant?

i will stick the pots for daffodils and tulips outdoors then

With bulbs you should wait for the leaves to turn brown before cutting them off. The leaves continue to feed the bulb for next season's growth before the winter sets in.

You can of course just replant the whole bulb, leaves attached now if you want, but it would be better moving the bulb after the leaves have died down naturally.

Daffodils and tulips can be left in pots outside over winter with no issues.

Soldato
OP
With bulbs you should wait for the leaves to turn brown before cutting them off. The leaves continue to feed the bulb for next season's growth before the winter sets in.

You can of course just replant the whole bulb, leaves attached now if you want, but it would be better moving the bulb after the leaves have died down naturally.

Daffodils and tulips can be left in pots outside over winter with no issues.

thanks regarding leaving the daffodils/tulips outside in pots
I think some pesky squirrels started to dig into my pot yesterday

anway the bulbs in question to replant are Gladioli Corms - lovely bulbs that flower in July - they still have flowers on them

when do you think they will start to die down? I'm thinking of moving them to a different part of the garden because it makes the hedge really difficult to cut where they are right now.
I guess I can start preparing the new ground and just wait for them to die down.

I think I will go much deeper when I re-plant them, as nearly every single one needed a bamboo stick this year.

Soldato
OP
Leave until it has died down. You may risk shocking it if you move now.

yes

I will wait till the leaves falls off etc should I replant them say in November or take them out of the ground store them over winter and then replant next spring?

Back
Top Bottom