Plasma or Projector?

Permabanned
Bump... bringing this thread back to life.

My dad is seriously considering getting a plasma in the next month or so. Up to this point we have survived on a 28" Sony (100hz) in a 20ft x 10ft room.

Just today we went into Currys to "window" shop. Saw the Pioneer 43" and the LG and Sony (can't remember the sizes of these) and also the Samsung as mentioned above.

I'm going to browse a few of the TV mag's to look into the pro's and con's of the Plasma. I wasn't aware of the fade of the screens.

If the timescale is like what's been described above then I can't see a Plasma in our house lasting past 2 years :(. I would say that on a weekday our current 28" Sony is on from 5pm 'ish to 12pm 'ish, Saturday is again 5pm 'ish to 12pm 'ish. Sunday is almost 8am 'ish to 12pm 'ish (must stop 'ishing :)).

There are 7 of us in the house and if one of us is not watching SKY/Normal Tv then my dad is probably watching his Turkish Satellite.

Are there any good dedicated forums where there a few more people with Plasma experience?

Last edited:
Associate
i wouldnt reccomend plasma screens for normal tv viewing, better suited to watch your dvd's on and using a telly for normal viewing. Do you really need to watch skynews with 42" plasma? sure its nice, but better to use a normal tv for things like that. Your plasma will last a lot longer then.

TFT's are getting bigger and bigger, they should last at least as long as a crt telly, so keep an eye out for these.

Permabanned
I bought a dvd player last year (LG3350) but to be honest the rest of my family scarcely use it.

My dad and 3 bro's are footy fans and like to watch the premiership games, while I like the films.

Associate
I got my ex-rental from a company called maveric, any plama renting place will usualy sell them (loads around the NEC and other exhibition place), but it's vital you inspect the exact screen you'll be purchasing before taking it home.

I use mine for every day viewing of everything, can't wait for more stuff to be broadcast in widescreen.
Also may be a good idea to buy one with SCART input as finding Component compatible products is hard, otherwise it's svideo or composite :(

http://www.avsforum.com/ is a good source for additional information.

Be wary, once you get used to watching everything at 42" anything less will seem tiny!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Kingsley, do you have any idea how much the cheapest ones were? as i am thinking of splashing out on one to go alongside my projector's for everyday viewing. Having just bought a new bulb for one of them i am now getting a bit paranoid of rinsing them all day! I dont need it to be one which is gonna be brilliant, just something i can bolt to the wall underneith my projection screen really:) I currently use a 28" telly alongside and tbh after watching the projector it looks like a damn portable:(

Associate
Originally posted by Jez
I currently use a 28" telly alongside and tbh after watching the projector it looks like a damn portable:(

lol -- know the feeling

mine came from http://www.plasmascreen.co.uk they're the rental division of http://www.maverick.co.uk give them a ring and ask them if they've got any ex-rental stock. they should be able to give you prices if they have any. JVC 4210 s like mine should be quite cheap now and are fine for use everyday, mine on ly had 300 hours on it when i got it from them !
although bear in mind most plasmas won't be silent like the new panasonics, mine has 4 panaflow 80mms in it and does make some noise.
And do get it delivered as the'll deliver it in a flight case so it's nice and safe.(they take the case back :( ) and remember plasmas can only be transported verticaly.

Back
Top Bottom