Plasma

Soldato
Personally I don't like any Plasma, I've always found them to be quite blurry, altho I don't think I've seen a HD plasma in the flesh. If I was going to get a plasma I would just get a high resolution projector.

LCD TVs, especially the newer HD ones all look great to me. 37" of static pixels, at a native 1080 resolution, yes please :)

Soldato
For PC/360 images, yes, they look great, but if you like realistic colours rather than the oversaturated and limited LCD tonal range, or want to watch any "normal" TV or DVD's LCD just cant touch plasma.

Associate
I have a Panasonic TH42PE50 42 Inch HD Plasma and honestly it poos all over my mates sammy 32" lcd, he admits it too ;) HD on the xbox 360 looks amazing, and my upscaling dvd player looks really good on it too, if you have space and the cash i'd go for one of those or the new pioneer model.

I've also got a small 19" lcd sammy 913n for the pc though and that is sex too, I often watch that in bed.

As others have said really, if you want it as a device for tv/dvd/360 i would get one of the nice new plasmas.

Permabanned
I went through this whole LCD/Plasma thing about 4 months ago. After about a month looking at loads of different screens, the following holds true for me.

1) For a close viewing distance (less that 7 feet) you best bet is a 32" LCD
2) For distanced over that, your best with a 42" if you have room
3) On the 42" screen size, Plasma > LCD

If your look at the 32" Samsung for example, it look lovely, but the 40" version seems to ghost by comparison. As has been said above, modern plasmas do not suffer from screen burn anymore and do 720p/1080i absolutely fine! I ended up going to a Hitachi 4PD7200 which I couldnt be happier with!

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
Never had a problem personally, but i do find all these mega cheap plasmas coming to the market are giving a bad name to plasmas in general.

Thats true to a point, especially with the likes of the goodmans type brands that make it into high street shops, however there are some good cheap screens out there.

i purchased a Haier 42" after a lot of research. Haier are actually a huge well respected brand in china but are pretty much unknown in europe. They are selling here at prices cheaper than they sell for in China in an effort to get some penetration in Europe and the US. The early models were a bit poor but now they are using LG panels, which is not as good as Panasonic but when you get 8ft away I honestly cant see the difference. I spent a few hours going through the Digital Video Essentials disc and my setup looks a lot better than a mates who has a £2500 pionneer (he left in on default settings lol). It only cost me the princley sum of £800 and after a little tax dodge using the goverment initiative to allow staff to buy computer equipment (well it has a VGA socket ;)) it will actually cost me £460 :)

It also doesn't suffer from screenburn - I played PGR3 for 5 hours solid in bumber cam with tthe dials in the same place and no hint of burn in.

So, in general I'd agree that you get what you pay for, but there are a few gems out there if you put in the legwork.

Caporegime
Firestar_3x said:
The scaler on my PW6 is fantastic, its an amazing looking screen imho and the 360 looks superb on it, my screen is just over 14 months old and i've had 0 issues with it, i've also noticed Panasonics don't seem to suffer from screen burn at all.

I've seen several lcd screens on demo and my screen wins hands down, the colours look great and not washed out.

You can't beat Panasonic, Pioneer or Sony for Plasma screens. All 3 are awesome.

Soldato
Are Plasma screens as sharp as LCD screens today?

I remember going to a shop once where they had lots of TV's side by side displaying the same program and I noticed that the LCD screens were much bighter/sharper than the Plasma screens but was that because the Plasma screens were older technology and a lower resolution?

Caporegime
Lots of shops must loose so much money cause they take a poor quality signal split it 50 times and sent it to 1.5 / 2k screens in the hope joe blogs will buy one, you really need a proper demo to fully understand how amazing they can look, fantastic Panasonic main dealer in hanley about 1 hour from my house.

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
Lots of shops must loose so much money cause they take a poor quality signal split it 50 times and sent it to 1.5 / 2k screens in the hope joe blogs will buy one, you really need a proper demo to fully understand how amazing they can look, fantastic Panasonic main dealer in hanley about 1 hour from my house.

I agree.

This weekend i saw a 60" LG plasma (1366x768) priced at £8,000. They were showing LG's HD demo and it looked jaw dropping. I could hardly pull myself away from it. It was mesmerizing.

Soldato
60" :O

Blimey. Mind you, I remember looking at plasmas in 2000 when a standard 42" cost £7000. Any cheapo plasma these days would wipe the floor with it.

Wonder when we'll see 60" HD for under £1000? Haier already do a 50" HD for about £1500.

Thats one of the reasons I didnt spalsh that much cash this round. I like the look of HD plasma but for me theres not enough source material to make it worthwhile at the moment. 360 only gets a hour or 2 a day and I cant see much differecne on any games other than Kameo, and the Sky service isnt really of much interest at the moment - 10 movies a week + football + a few documentaries for an extra tenner a month.

I'm hoping my SD will last me 3 years by which time that 60" LG will be under £2500 and HDTV broadcatsing will be much more widespread.

Soldato
Please correct me but a while ago the argument used to be that Plasma displays gradually loose brightness over time while LCD never suffered from this problem.

Is it still the case now?

Soldato
Sagalout said:
Either way its pretty academic - who keeps a TV for more than 5 years?

We had a TV for about 20 years :) My 14" was used for a good 8 years too ;)
My parents used to own a guest house, so some of the TVs were as high as 25 years ;)

Soldato
Well there will always be a retro following I suppose ;)

2nd/3rd TV's in houses never get much useage anyway so *** lifespan would be a lot longer. I plan on getting a 50 or 60" HD plasma in a coupel of years, then I'll pension off this SD plasma into the bedroom

Caporegime
Dutch Guy said:
Are Plasma screens as sharp as LCD screens today?

I remember going to a shop once where they had lots of TV's side by side displaying the same program and I noticed that the LCD screens were much bighter/sharper than the Plasma screens but was that because the Plasma screens were older technology and a lower resolution?

Never pay attention to screens displayed in a shop, they run through splitters so it's pointless. Plasma hold a sharp image just like LCD.

Back
Top Bottom